cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed and dropping connection

Highlighted
Freshman

Slow speed and dropping connection

We struggle with slow speed, webpages that won't load, and frequent disconnects. Streaming video is impossible as there are multiple delays and buffering.  Many times we have to resort to streaming through a hotspot on our cell phones (without issue).

 

The speed test data is a little misleading because it can take 2-3 attempts to load the speed test page, followed by long delays, and then when the speed test runs it shows 30 Mbps.  Even so, we will frequently get speed tests in the 1-2 Mbps range.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/ras23577

 

Satellite signal strength is 90 with all green checkmarks on the system status page.

 

Thank you.

 

 

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Slow speed and dropping connection

Your speeds are fine for streaming. Looks like you may be experiencing issues with latency and congestion, which will directly impact streaming ability.   During prime time, when everyone is trying to stream, you will experience issues. Keep in mind that while you can stream with satellite, it's not ideal due to latency and the streaming services'  issues with it and with congestion.  If you got satellite internet for the purpose of streaming, you may want to reconsider. 

 

tana750cc wrote:

We struggle with slow speed, webpages that won't load, and frequent disconnects. Streaming video is impossible as there are multiple delays and buffering.  Many times we have to resort to streaming through a hotspot on our cell phones (without issue).

 

The speed test data is a little misleading because it can take 2-3 attempts to load the speed test page, followed by long delays, and then when the speed test runs it shows 30 Mbps.  Even so, we will frequently get speed tests in the 1-2 Mbps range.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/ras23577

 

Satellite signal strength is 90 with all green checkmarks on the system status page.

 

Thank you.

 

 


 

Highlighted
Freshman

Re: Slow speed and dropping connection

I work from home (like everyone else right now) and I need reliable video for work calls.  It really feels like we are having a problem with dropped/intemittant connection.  I frequently get "loss of internet" errors when using programs such as MS Teams or Zoom.  Regardless of video, standard webpages should not frequently take a minute to load.  

 

BTW - I never have any issues using my cell phone as a hotspot even though the bandwidth is lower than advertised Hughesnet speeds.  

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Slow speed and dropping connection

Your phone service is terrestrial and has minimal latency; it can't be compared with satellite internet, which has noticeable latency due to the distance the signal has to travel.

 

Data intensive services are usually sensitive to latency and congestion, so you may have issues with Zoom.

 

Check the disclaimers on the HN website and in the subscriber agreement: speeds and performance are not guaranteed.

 

And yes, websites can take a long time to load during prime time, due to congestion (combined with the inherent latency).

When you're having issues, check the State Code.

 

What is your beam ID? HN has been having issues with a couple of beams.

 


@tana750cc wrote:

I work from home (like everyone else right now) and I need reliable video for work calls.  It really feels like we are having a problem with dropped/intemittant connection.  I frequently get "loss of internet" errors when using programs such as MS Teams or Zoom.  Regardless of video, standard webpages should not frequently take a minute to load.  

 

BTW - I never have any issues using my cell phone as a hotspot even though the bandwidth is lower than advertised Hughesnet speeds.  


 

Highlighted
Freshman

Re: Slow speed and dropping connection

We have beam ID 92.

 

How can 1.6 MBPS download speed be considered acceptable for "high speed internet"?  

 

Is there a way to check logs to review dropped signal, lost packets, etc?  

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Slow speed and dropping connection

The system is designed to give 25Mbps down and 3 Mbps up. Factors outside that design can sometimes lower the speeds for some subscribers in some areas -- check the disclaimers.  

This area of the SCC has diagnostics : http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/summary

 

To have speed issues addressed in this community, first you will need to follow the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Highlighted
Freshman

Re: Slow speed and dropping connection

I was able to capture a screenshot of status during a poor performance episode.  It contains State Code 30.1.1 - Web acceleration connection in backoff state and Summary Operational State as Degraded. Web Acceleration is DOWN with red X.  

 

A review of problem history log indicates 5 red X's in Uplink over the last 24 hrs.  (Interestingly Web Acceleration does not indicate any red Xs)  

 

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Slow speed and dropping connection

Those conditions are usually transitory.  Try rebooting the modem when they happen; sometimes this resolves the issue. 

 


@tana750cc wrote:

I was able to capture a screenshot of status during a poor performance episode.  It contains State Code 30.1.1 - Web acceleration connection in backoff state and Summary Operational State as Degraded. Web Acceleration is DOWN with red X.  

 

A review of problem history log indicates 5 red X's in Uplink over the last 24 hrs.  (Interestingly Web Acceleration does not indicate any red Xs)  

 


 

Highlighted
Freshman

Re: Slow speed and dropping connection

Just ran a speed test with 2.3 MBPS result.  Performance continues to be a significant issue.  Is it possible to get a response from a Hughesnet moderator?  

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Slow speed and dropping connection

The moderators will respond when you have conducted the required procedure to have speed issues addressed: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607