cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds in the evenings -New Customer-

Professor

Re: Slow speeds in the evenings -New Customer-

You may want to start a new ticket by going to https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/bd-p/TechSupport and clicking on Start a new topic.  This will keep the tickets separate so each ticket can receive individualised attention.  For speed issues, please also follow the protocol outlined here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/td-p/110034/jump-to/first...

Please note the Hughesnet reps and engineers require this protocol in order to address speed issues. 

Onelakedawg wrote:

We live in the eastern US and I find that from 5AM until 1030AM m speed is good enough to stream video with no buffering issues. Around 1030 it’s almost like running into a wall. Video stops running. I run out of data every month. A lot is wasted trying to stream video. Even the tokens are wasted. Strange thing is my Amazon Firestick works pretty good. My IPTV service requires more speed and won’t stream unfortunately we presently have no other choice here except HughesNet so I am grateful for what we receive. I agree. They’ve oversold and cannot deliver.  

New Poster

So I've given some thought to buying a two-smartphone plan with 22g  data wifi hotspot limits each (so I can get close to the 50g I get now with my plan here) and using that instead of HuhgesNet...about $120/month.  I pay now with HughesNet $100 for less than 2mb download speeds on average.  

Has anyone tried this?  I guess the key is cell phone reception. Anyone have experience boosting cell signal?  Wish HughesNet worked so I didn't have to hack this need for decent speed.

Distinguished Professor IV

@rs159 wrote:

So I've given some thought to buying a two-smartphone plan with 22g  data wifi hotspot limits each (so I can get close to the 50g I get now with my plan here) and using that instead of HuhgesNet...about $120/month.  I pay now with HughesNet $100 for less than 2mb download speeds on average.  

Has anyone tried this?  I guess the key is cell phone reception. Anyone have experience boosting cell signal?  Wish HughesNet worked so I didn't have to hack this need for decent speed.

You could also start a new topic in Tech Support and work on getting the issue resolved.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

Welcome to the club. Be thankful it is only slow in the evening. Most everyone else is all the time. Yes, you made a mistake and they will hold you to the contract. I am almost at the end of mine. HAPPY DAYS.

Very misleading company and support is terrible putting you on hold many times and running test for hours(8 hours once) on end with nothing resolved.

The Federal Communication Commission should investigate this company. Contact your Senator or Congressman but if they are on the take you are out of luck.

Professor

What utter nonsense.  

This is a tech support site, so of course,people posting here have issues. The company has 1.2 million customers -- they don't all have issues.  Many of us don't. 

The Feds have no problem with Hughesnet. HN actually has many awards and is a pretty good company, based on their ratings and the awards they received. You know, actual evidence vs opinion.  

Just because you are disgruntled is no reason to post misinformation.  Have a problem? Give some detail and let the people on this site help you solve them. 

Hate the company? Pay the ETF and go somewhere else. You're not chained to the service.

I understand there are always some.bugs to work out and I get that.

I made the change based on the poor service from viasat and was hoping for a chance to have a better experience.
So far my experience has been way worse than viasat.

I am also not one of those people that think I'm going to get the same level of service as a cable internet subscriber.

I was giving the techs in the group an opportunity to respond which has not happened yet. So I will have to call cs.

Yes the agreement with HughesNet says speeds up to but their advertising gives a very misleading level of expectation.

Where I live I have no other options, it really is the less smelly of 2 pieces of crap.
Distinguished Professor IV

@stephens5291174 

It can take a day or two for the reps to reply.  They aren't on during the weekends.  Unfortunately, when others fill a thread with their posts it can sometimes "muddy the waters" of that thread, causing a rep to miss where someone is asking for help.  I don't know that this is the case, but it's possible that it was just missed.  

While you're certainly free to call for support, the support you can get from the corporate reps here is much better, IMHO, than the help that you can receive from the phone reps.   

Again, you're free to call for support, but I'll tag a couple of reps so they will be sure to see this and reply, regardless. 

@Liz

@Damian 

@Amanda 

@Hardy  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Hello Russell,

Thank you for posting here and I do apologize for the delay in response As Gabe has stated, we are not in on the weekend and the original post can get lost among the rest of the unrelated posts attached to your thread. If you need a more immediate ask and response situation, I recommend calling into our support line at 866-347-3292 or using our live chat service which you can find here https://customercare.myhughesnet.com/support.cfm?source=chat. Our representatives there are available 24/7.

In regards to your service, I do see that the transmission error rate is too high. I have attempted to troubleshoot this remotely, however, I was not able to recover this. I recommend having us send your installer back out to check things on site as this would be more beneficial. A repair for this should be permanent and you would most likely not need a tech to come out again for that reason. Please let me know what you would like to do going forward. This would be of no charge to you and can be scheduled for whatever day you choose, if available. 

-Damian

@Damian wrote:

Hello Russel,

Thank you for posting here and I do apologize for the delay in response As Gabe has stated, we are not in on the weekend and the original post can get lost among the rest of the unrelated posts attached to your thread. If you need a more immediate ask and response situation, I recommend calling into our support line at 866-347-3292 or using our live chat service which you can find here https://customercare.myhughesnet.com/support.cfm?source=chat. Our representatives there are available 24/7.

In regards to your service, I do see that the transmission error rate is too high. I have attempted to troubleshoot this remotely, however, I was not able to recover this. I recommend having us send your installer back out to check things on site as this would be more beneficial. A repair for this should be permanent and you would most likely not need a tech to come out again for that reason. Please let me know what you would like to do going forward. This would be of no charge to you and can be scheduled for whatever day you choose, if available. 

-Damian

Yes @Damian, lets schedule for a tech to return and check the system. Just let me know how I set this up. 

Highlighted
Sophomore

@stephens5291174 wrote:

I am a new customer with an install yesterday 3/13/2019

Speeds at the time of install was 25+mbs about 7pm yesterday that speed dropped to just above 512 kbps. 

Speeds this morning 3/14/2019 25+mbs, and around 5:15pm this evening it was 25+mbs. Then at 7pm another drastic drop to the reported speed of 726 kbps. 

Direct connection to the router, and wifi turned off. Using Google Chrome browser. 

Not a good start to being a customer. 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/rgstephe

Posted previously, but somehow it got rejected when I edited the link. 

I've been having problems with extreme slow speed in the evening as well.

After talking to Advanced support several times, and going through all the rigamaroe, they say there might be a problem at the gateway.  So they're doing their thing and will hopefully have some news this Friday or early next week.

If you have problems, best thing to do it call support.  You'll have to deal with level 1 support who will follow the script like it is the very life blood.  Just deal with it.

They won't be able to solve your problem.  But they will get you to Advanced Support.

Advanced will call you back in a few days and now you will be talking to someone who can help you.  They'll make you do speed tests and a whole bunch of other stuff.  They'll make some adjustments.

But eventually, if you follow the programme, you'll get to the point where they'll send a tech out.  If that doesn't solve the problem, then they'll realize it's their problem and they'll be able to narrow it down.

Keep the faith.  Go through the process.  Endure level 1 support.  Make it to advanced support and they will actually help you.