So we're having an issue, where we're unable to upload anything due to the uplink giving out errors, we're getting the 12.1.12 error code, and finally, we're getting multiple diagnostic codes.
As you can see, the 12.1.12 error appeared, and the signal strength is good, so we shouldn't be getting this error.
As you can see in the above screenshot, we got 5 Xs in the uplink, likely due to the 12.1.12 error. Even if the error didn't appear, we're still having trouble uploading to sites like youtube and mega due to the uplink errors.
I did a connectivity test today, and it reported 60% packet loss.
This is the hourly history, for some reason, we're also having problems with the DNS Acceleration[N].
Finally, This is the various diagnostic codes we are getting, and yes the recent diagnostic code currently is 0000-0000-0400-0041. If someone could help us with this, this would be appreciated.
Edit: I should show my testmy upload test: https://testmy.net/db/meJz6p3AZ. I don't know if this matters or not since it's 8:36 PM where we live, but I'm doing it anyways.
Update: I've decided to do another upload test, this one having the computer directly connected to the modem: https://testmy.net/db/oDWLUyJG8. Again, don't know if this matters or not, since it's 10:44PM currently where we live, but I decided to put it here anyway.
Just did a recent connectivity test and it showed 50% packet loss.
I did another test after that, and it showed extremely high ping. Again, I'm not sure if this matters since it's 9:43PM where we live, but I'm putting both screenshots here in case it does matter.
https://testmy.net/db/7VtfuD91r Just an update, I'm not really experiencing a problem with the upload speeds at the moment. I'm not having problems with uploading to sites like Youtube for example.
As you can see in the current hour history, My uplink is doing ok right now. If I have any more issues with it and the upload speeds I'll be sure to update you all later.