Hughesnet Community

Slow uploads and slow speeds. So frustrated.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DiamondH
Freshman

Slow uploads and slow speeds. So frustrated.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/JenniferHudson

I have been a long time Hughesnet user, so accustomed to the slower speeds but this last month has been over the top.  My uploads are taking hours if they work at all.  Connections are all slow.  Data all but gone in days, especially after the testing and trying to upload the same video for hours and hours.  Help.

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The upload rate for HN is designed to be 3 Mbps (sometimes it can be more or less). Your upload rates look fine, except for 2 that happened during times of high traffic.  Your beam may have been overly congested at that time. The more people using your beam, the slower everything will run, as the overall data amount is limited. 

You may need to run some more tests, as right now you don't have enough (you only have a handful and they span only two days).  The HN reps will be back on Monday, so that will give you time to run more tests. They can also run remote diagnostics on your modem to see if their side  (the connection between the modem and the satellite) is working as it should. If it is, then the issue is on your side, and it can be many things, such as having too many connections to the modem ,traffic on the beam, software and hardware issues on your devices, etc. 

Do you know how to find your way around the System Control Center?  If so, check to see what all is connected to your modem.  Also check the state code for your modem. 

At the time of the testing, I disabled the Wifi and was connected directly to the modem.  Also for the video uploads.   https://testmy.net/quickstats/JenniferHudson

There are now 14 tests.  The state is now degraded as I have run out of data with the testing and trying to upload a video that was taking hours.  Normally it is slow, but never hours and hours to upload.  I tried different browsers, different computers, disabling the firewall, making sure nothing else was connected.  I do know my way around the control center.  Is there a way I can check on things?  General browsing was also crawling.  Are these speed averages normal?  Downloads too?

Minimum2.89 Mbps : 0.03 Mbps
Average6.16 Mbps : 1.9 Mbps
Maximum8 Mbps : 3.72 Mbps
maratsade

Sorry to hear your data's all gone from the testing and the slow uploads.  That stinks. Since you noticed the change you mention (data draining quickly), has anything on your side changed?  Have you been trying to upload and re-upload videos a lot?  Is there anyone else in the house who might be using more data?  You could get a router that monitors network traffic and data usage, but they can be expensive, or you could install Glasswire (which is free) on your Windows computer(s), to see how much data things are using. 

Your download speeds are not stellar, but they're adequate for normal stuff, and most of them are even good enough for streaming (which is a very data intensive activity that handles very large files).  I'd say your upload speeds (except the two smallest ones) are pretty much normal.  

I would try uploading the video during Bonus Bytes (2-8 am your time) and see if there's a difference at all. 

You probably have enough speed tests for the reps to look at when they're back next week. 

Can you share your state code from the System Control Center?  (It's probably the code that says you're in FAP).

Yes, state code is listed as degraded.  Funny thing is that I finally got the video to upload, just took 2.5 hrs.  4.5 minute video under that status.  For a few months I have run out of data in less tha 2 weeks, but not really noticed a differnece in speed, sadly.  I choose that time to watch youtube vidoes but never had done streaming. Hughesnet has trained me not to even try, so I do not have any smart tv's or streaming enabled, no printer.  I should think the difference would be noticable in the degaraded state, but it is not, sadly. 

So when I read the results that say I am below 60% of the hughesnet average, that is okay? 

What can I check on my end?  I had glasswire, showed nothing was eating my data, but seemed to take up data, so I uninstalled after 2 months. no smart appliances, tv's, printers, not sure what to check next.  Thank you for your time.

GabeU

@DiamondH 

If the only device(s) you have connected to HughesNet is a Windows based computer, then Glasswire is going to be your best bet to see what's using data.  Glasswire itself uses very little data, and only when it connects to its server.  Perhaps 20-30KB per month.  If you do have other devices connected, however, they may be using data, even if they are "off", as some devices when off are really in standby, and possibly still using data.  Those other devices may have data monitoring apps built in, depending what those devices are.  

As for your upload speed, with the exception of those two tests, the overall speed isn't bad.  Real world activities, on the other hand, don't always reflect the speed that the service is capable of at the time.  It's very possible that the server to which you were uploading your file was very busy, or there may have been a problem with one or more of the components along the transmission path.  It's also possible that one or more of those components, or even the end server itself, is overly sensitive to the high latency inherent to satellite internet.  The last possibility is congestion with the system.  The cause is likely one or more of these things.  Unfortunately, though, there's not really anything you can do to alleviate any of those causes, as they're down the line, out of your or HughesNet's control.  

It's very possible that your upload speed experience will change, as those kinds of causes often do the same.  Both upload and download speed with any particular site/server can vary.  I've had Windows updates that took hours, whereas the next time they took just a minute or two, and for the same relative sized update.  

Your download speed is pretty low right now, but with you being throttled due to being out of data, this is expected.  And, actually, it's likely lower than what is shown, as testmy.net has been a bit goofy as of late with download speed results.  Your actual download speed right now is likely no more than about 3Mbps - 3.5Mbps.

Hi DiamondH,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I was able to locate your account and see that you've already contacted us and was escalated to advanced support, which will reach out to you within the week, according to the notes. Please let us know how it goes if you still have concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

What if I amnot by the phone?  Will they leave a number to call back?

GabeU

@DiamondH wrote:

What if I amnot by the phone?  Will they leave a number to call back?

I'm pretty sure they leave a message with a phone number and the necessary PIN so that you can call them back.

Good morning DiamondH,

I see advanced support reached out to you already. If you have any other concerns, feel free to contact us again.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!