Slow video file download speeds for Disney+/Netflix

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjvezzani
Freshman

Slow video file download speeds for Disney+/Netflix

I'm experiencing issues regarding downloading Disney+/Netflix shows and movies during my "Bonus Zone" time for watching offline. I've run several internet speed tests this morning on testmy.net: https://testmy.net/compID/48068080137636

The reported speeds seem high enough to warrant quick download speeds, but this morning I downloaded a 23 minute (86MB) episode of a kids show and it took 15 minutes (~100kbps). 

I saw this article this morning on the community forums, installed a VPN, and tried the download again. I'm continuing to get very poor download speeds from Netflix and Disney+ even with the VPN active.

This problem also does not appear to be scoped to my hardware. I'm experiencing identical slowness on both an 8th gen iPad running most recent software and a onePlus 6 running latest android updates.

I can download other files quite quickly. For example I downloaded a 100 MB application from the Apple App Store in ~25 seconds (~4 mbps)

So my scenario is:

- testmy.net reports fast internet download speeds

- Disney+ & Netflix download files at ~100kbps

- The issue manifests in an identical manner across devices

- Other file types appear to download without any kind of attenuated speeds

- I don't understand the discrepancy between reported download speeds and experienced download speeds for files coming from streaming services like Disney+ & Netflix.

Can anyone provide reasons why this might be and what steps I might take to fix this?

7 REPLIES 7
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

@mjvezzani , please remember to follow the speed test requirements here, so the HughesNet reps can then forward your data to the network engineers. The process cannot move forward until you run the tests using the required test protocols. 

It is likely that congestion is affecting your ability to stream, and this may not be something that can be fixed, though I'm sure the reps will look into the issue and see what may be impacting your experience.

Sorry your experience didn't improve with a VPN, but VPNs don't work for everyone, unfortunately; their performance on satellite internet varies greatly. 

@maratsade Thanks for the response.

I've followed the speed test requirements as best as I can on my main computer. Unfortunately I cannot run a LAN cable to either my iPad or my onePlus 6 as those are mobile devices not intended for a hardline connection. Is that an issue?

maratsade

@mjvezzani 

I would say do the best you can with what you have, but use the 25 MB file size for testing download speeds. 

Go to https://testmy.net/download

Click on Manual Test Size

Select the 25 MB size

Run 3 speed tests separated by about 5 minutes.   Do this procedure once in the morning, once in the evening, and once somewhere in between (maybe mid-afternoon?).  If you do this over 2 days, the reps will have 18 data points they can then send to the network engineers. 

The speeds you have right now are excellent, but it may be a good idea to run some other tests with the right file size, just in case you need it. 

Speed is only one of the variables that affects streaming, and you can stream with much lower speeds than what your tests show you're getting, so the issue you may be experiencing is congestion

Congestion can be in your household, and this happens if there are many devices accessing the network at the same time, as the signal needs to be shared.  If you have more than once device connected when you're trying to stream, try disconnecting all but the one you're using from the wifi.  

Congestion can happen in your area if many HughesNet subscribers are trying to use HughesNet at the same time and they're all trying to do something data-intensive, like streaming.  The signal needs to be shared by all, and the more people accessing the system will slow it down for everyone.  This is something we as subscribers have no control over. 

To make the issue clear, I am not trying to stream video on either Disney+ or Netflix. I'm trying to download files from those services for watching offline.

maratsade

The same congestion issue applies to downloads.

EDIT: the issue may also be how Netflix and Disney downloads work. They may not play nicely with congestion and latency.  In any case, I hope one of the HN reps ( @Liz , @Remy , @Damian )    cuts in and offers some troubleshooting ideas.  I imagine how frustrating this issue must be for you. 

@mjvezzani wrote:

To make the issue clear, I am not trying to stream video on either Disney+ or Netflix. I'm trying to download files from those services for watching offline.

Hi mjvezzani,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I appreciate you sharing what you've tried so far, this is very helpful. I sent this over to one of our engineers; curious whether toggling the Video Data Saver makes any difference. Here's how to access your VDS setting.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi mjvezzani,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!