SnapChat

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrissya921
New Poster

SnapChat

I switched from ViaSat to HughesNet on 7/22/22 and since the switch, my SnapChat app has not worked. Everything else works great. I’ve tried resetting the modem, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, clearing the cache on the app, restarting my phone, turning Wi-Fi on and off, nothing seems to work. The app was working perfectly until the switch and it works on cellular data, just not Wi-Fi. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8
Damian

Hello @chrissya921,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I am happy to hear everything is working well for the most part besides Snapchat. Could you give a little detail as to what features aren't working on the app specifically? Is it with sending and receiving or just loading stories?

-Damian 

Hi there! It is honestly with all functions of the app. I get notifications of messages received but they won’t load when I open the app, sending messages or uploading to my story doesn’t work, and other stories won’t load. 

@chrissya921,

I see. The best I can do, based on all the troubleshooting steps you have already taken, is to flush the DNS cache for the modem remotely. I just performed this a few seconds ago. Try power cycling the modem one more time to make sure these changes take place. Unplugging the modem directly from the outlet/power strip for 60 seconds should do the trick. Please let me know if you are able to perform functions again after this. 

-Damian 

@chrissya921,

I also see that some of these devices connected to the modem show a fair or poor signal. Please make sure that the device you are using snapchat on is within 30 feet from the modem when you test. Also make sure the device is on the "hug2" network, as it provides more range than the "hug5". The 5GHz or "hug5" network would be good to use if you are in the same room as the modem or fairly close.

-Damian

@Damian Hi again! I rebooted the modem by unplugging it for 60 seconds like you suggested, plugged it back in, and switched over to hug2 and the app still isn’t working. Any other suggestions?

@chrissya921,

From what I can see there's still few devices and an iPhone with poor signal. Best I can recommend is trying to get closer to the modem until you you see good signal quality and try to use Snapchat again. There is no specific reason that I can see that could be causing this besides signal quality.  Snapchat not working with our service has been reported before but a specific cause has yet to be found. Best we can due is speculate that the way signal travels with HughesNet service causes snapchat to timeout when trying to load certain things. The reason it may have worked with Viasat could simply be due to the fact the boost in MBPS they provide was enough to overcome that issue most times. Our engineers are always working on ways to increase the speeds we offer and have it shared fairly across our very large customer base. 

-Damian 

@Damian 

This is very disappointing. I am literally sitting right next to the modem so signal quality shouldn’t be an issue. At this point, I am very sorry I made the switch.

@chrissya921,

I understand and apologize for the inconvenience this is causing. I will continue to keep my eyes open for any possible fixes for this and will post here as soon as something is found. 

-Damian