cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, Gen5 feels sluggish

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

So, Gen5 feels sluggish

If you look at my speed tests here, the numbers are not bad. There was one amazing spike there for a sec, too.  And yet, the perceived speed when I browse is slower than Gen4.  So why is this? Anybody know?  I was getting much slower measured speeds with Gen4, but I felt the Internet was moving fast.  With Gen5, I'm getting much higher speeds than before, but I feel the whole Internet experience is sluggish, and pages take longer to load.

Two other curious things:

[1] What's hug5?  I have a hug2 network, and a hug5 network. What's the difference? (I love the "hug" aspect of the names)

[2] Why does the new Gen5 network kill my Verizon reception on my iPad? I get "no service" unless I restart the device. Curious.

Bonus question: what on Earth is the WPS button? What does it do?

Bonus comment: the new modem looks hilarious. Well, to me it does.

28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Junior

Re: So, Gen5 feels sluggish

I don't have Gen5 here, but I think I can answer 1 for you.

1. I assume is 2.4Ghz network and 5Ghz network, connection speeds.  You can connect to either, passwords I assume will be in your manual or on bottom/back of router, or you will find them in the wireless area of the router controls from the system control center.  I'm sure someone with Gen5 will give you a more exact location shortly.  Also, switching between one or the other (While disabling/turn off radio of the one not in use) may help with your Verizon issue, possibly

https://www.howtogeek.com/222249/whats-the-difference-between-2.4-ghz-and-5-ghz-wi-fi-and-which-shou...

http://www.speedguide.net/faq/is-5ghz-wireless-better-than-24ghz-340

WPS - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

Highlighted

Thanks, I'll try that.  I had read the WPS article on Wikipedia, but it's over my head; that's why I had asked here. Smiley Happy

The modem user sheet has this, which will have to be enough of an explanation for now. Smiley Happy

wps.PNG

ETA: the 5GH network does not show on my list of available networks, only on the back of the modem, so I don't know how to connect to it.

Highlighted

I can see the 5g network on my iphone and ipad.  I connected to it; sluggishness did not resolve.  I can't see the 5g network on my list of available networks on my laptop.

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

maratsade, sorry but have to ask are you sure the laptop has 5 Ghz capability? What make/model adapter does it have and are the drivers up to date?

Either way, doubt it will solve sluggish problem.

Highlighted

No problem, @BirdDog! It's an HP pavilion that's less than 2 years old, but since it doesn't show the network, it probably doesn't have 5Ghz capability.  Besides, there was no change in perceived speed when I tried the 5Ghz network with the phone and the ipad, so I doubt there would be a change on the laptop.

I test the speed and it's fine, though not as spectacular as most people get, but it's the perceived speed that concerns me, and I don't know how to fix that.   With Gen4 I thought pages were loading very quickly.  With Gen5, they load more slowly, with some of them taking over a minute. It's just an oddity.   ETA: I'm reading the HN knowledge base to learn more about the modem

On a different topic, I thought the data would refill for some days with a new contract. This isn't happening with my account.  Was this to be expected?  Also not a huge deal, just a curious thing.

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

It probably doesn't have the capability then. And yes, mostlikely won't fix a sluggish feel anyway. Have you run connectivity (latency) and web response tests?

No idea what the policies are with Gen5 when it comes to upgrade and data refill as I don't have it. Haven't seen any official info on exactly what one should expect. May want to tag a mod and see what they say.

Highlighted

@BirdDog, I did run a connectivity test and it was fine.  I don't see where the web response test is on the SCC. There's a built in self-test, and that seems fine too.   Maybe I need a neurologist to run diagnostics on the old noggin (though without any prompting from me, the spousal unit also commented on the sluggishness).  Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Junior

@maratsade wrote:

I don't see where the web response test is on the SCC.

At the top of the Community pages you'll see a "Speed Test" link.  You'll find the HughesNet Web Response Test there.

Highlighted
Associate Professor