cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, Gen5 feels sluggish

Professor

So, Gen5 feels sluggish

If you look at my speed tests here, the numbers are not bad. There was one amazing spike there for a sec, too.  And yet, the perceived speed when I browse is slower than Gen4.  So why is this? Anybody know?  I was getting much slower measured speeds with Gen4, but I felt the Internet was moving fast.  With Gen5, I'm getting much higher speeds than before, but I feel the whole Internet experience is sluggish, and pages take longer to load.

Two other curious things:

[1] What's hug5?  I have a hug2 network, and a hug5 network. What's the difference? (I love the "hug" aspect of the names)

[2] Why does the new Gen5 network kill my Verizon reception on my iPad? I get "no service" unless I restart the device. Curious.

Bonus question: what on Earth is the WPS button? What does it do?

Bonus comment: the new modem looks hilarious. Well, to me it does.

28 REPLIES 28
Junior

Re: So, Gen5 feels sluggish

I don't have Gen5 here, but I think I can answer 1 for you.

1. I assume is 2.4Ghz network and 5Ghz network, connection speeds.  You can connect to either, passwords I assume will be in your manual or on bottom/back of router, or you will find them in the wireless area of the router controls from the system control center.  I'm sure someone with Gen5 will give you a more exact location shortly.  Also, switching between one or the other (While disabling/turn off radio of the one not in use) may help with your Verizon issue, possibly

https://www.howtogeek.com/222249/whats-the-difference-between-2.4-ghz-and-5-ghz-wi-fi-and-which-shou...

http://www.speedguide.net/faq/is-5ghz-wireless-better-than-24ghz-340

WPS - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

Professor

Thanks, I'll try that.  I had read the WPS article on Wikipedia, but it's over my head; that's why I had asked here. Smiley Happy

The modem user sheet has this, which will have to be enough of an explanation for now. Smiley Happy

wps.PNG

ETA: the 5GH network does not show on my list of available networks, only on the back of the modem, so I don't know how to connect to it.

Professor

I can see the 5g network on my iphone and ipad.  I connected to it; sluggishness did not resolve.  I can't see the 5g network on my list of available networks on my laptop.

Assistant Professor

maratsade, sorry but have to ask are you sure the laptop has 5 Ghz capability? What make/model adapter does it have and are the drivers up to date?

Either way, doubt it will solve sluggish problem.

Professor

No problem, @BirdDog! It's an HP pavilion that's less than 2 years old, but since it doesn't show the network, it probably doesn't have 5Ghz capability.  Besides, there was no change in perceived speed when I tried the 5Ghz network with the phone and the ipad, so I doubt there would be a change on the laptop.

I test the speed and it's fine, though not as spectacular as most people get, but it's the perceived speed that concerns me, and I don't know how to fix that.   With Gen4 I thought pages were loading very quickly.  With Gen5, they load more slowly, with some of them taking over a minute. It's just an oddity.   ETA: I'm reading the HN knowledge base to learn more about the modem

On a different topic, I thought the data would refill for some days with a new contract. This isn't happening with my account.  Was this to be expected?  Also not a huge deal, just a curious thing.

Assistant Professor

It probably doesn't have the capability then. And yes, mostlikely won't fix a sluggish feel anyway. Have you run connectivity (latency) and web response tests?

No idea what the policies are with Gen5 when it comes to upgrade and data refill as I don't have it. Haven't seen any official info on exactly what one should expect. May want to tag a mod and see what they say.

Professor

@BirdDog, I did run a connectivity test and it was fine.  I don't see where the web response test is on the SCC. There's a built in self-test, and that seems fine too.   Maybe I need a neurologist to run diagnostics on the old noggin (though without any prompting from me, the spousal unit also commented on the sluggishness).  Smiley LOL

Junior

@maratsade wrote:

I don't see where the web response test is on the SCC.

At the top of the Community pages you'll see a "Speed Test" link.  You'll find the HughesNet Web Response Test there.

Associate Professor