Some upgrade. Dialup is faster than this

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D_J_M
Freshman

Some upgrade. Dialup is faster than this

So, after almost ten years my old HT1000 system gave up the ghost back in September and I was offered a free "upgrade. Now, one caveat: I was still on the old bird here after everyone else had moved on. Bandwidth was good and I could almost watch an entire 30 minute youtube clip uninterrupted. I finally felt like, after a decade of service I was finally getting my money's worth.

Now's the part where I swear. I've been shelling out $100 a month for this service for almost 20 years without missing a beat. I rarely complain. But after they "upgraded" my system they also migrated me to the new bird. NOW... I can barely check my ph...king email and my news and social media websites usually load full of broken image links (and I block ads to help reduce the load).

I just tried to take HN speed test here and it took three tries, it kept timing out. And it's been like this since my "upgrade".

Right now, I'm THIS CLOSE to seeking legal advice because this is a ripoff! Plain and simple.

6 REPLIES 6
Remy

D_J_M,

Thank you for reaching out! We'd love to help out. Upon researching your account, it seems that an upgrade of service wasn't performed, but we did supply you with a new HT2000W modem. The reason behind this is we are longer producing HT1100s. You subsequently received a technician visit, as the modem you received was having trouble activating. You're currently on our Gen4 Power MAX plan, which is an older plan. Did a service agent you spoke with state that you'd have your plan upgraded? In addition, the tech notes state that a reflector was replaced, but it doesn't appear that you were repointed to another satellite. Are you having issues while both directly connected and via WiFi?

Thanks,

Remy

"Upgrade" as in they upgraded my old modem with a newer one. That was their idea. When that didn't fix the problem they offered to send a tech out who diagnosed the issue to the electronics out on the dish (and a substandard previous install). After installing the new hardware and electronics, the tech told me that he had also re-pointed it to a new satellite. My service has been sub-standard ever since. Especially during the hours of 4pm to 11pm. This wasn't an issue before the service call. And, the type of connection does not improve the quality of the service. I've got both here. And both a PC and a Mac. Both behave the same.

D_J_M,

Thank you for that information! I'll have this notated on your account. I'm going to have this case escalated, as the brief troubleshooting I attempted still produced speed tests on our end between 8 and 11mbps download. One of our team members will be reaching out to you at the phone number on file, upon investigation of your account. 

Thanks,

Remy

Just an FYI to note that I can connect either of my computers to my cell phone hot spot and get speeds of over 3 mbps which is typical for our rural location. On the other hand, a gaming file download that I attempted last night while connected to HN could barely break 200kbps.

Twenty-four hours and nothing. No contact from tech.

HeII, it took over a minute just to log in to this forum this evening. I downloaded another small gaming file just a short while ago, barely broke 100Kb/s.

I'd like to note that I was under the impression that your installers/contractors provided you folks back at HN with accurate and specific details on each install and service call they perform. If this is not the case I will endeavor to make my future comments more detailed.