cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something is messing with my HughesNet Usage Meter

Senior

Something is messing with my HughesNet Usage Meter

I knew I was using a lot of Data this period, however I was noticing some extreme reports from the HughesNet Usage meter app.

While comparing reports from  "my.hhughesnet.co/--->Usage" to the Usage meter, the reports were consistant. UsageMeterMess.PNGWeb page statistics for Usage

The HughesNet Usage meter showed similar usage.UsageMeterMess-3.PNGYep! I'm out of data

But THIS is unusal behavior for the HughesNet Usage Meter

Something is messing With my Usage.UsageMeterMess-2.PNGI dont think I bought any more tokens.

I dont reset for another 9 days.

This aint right.  Smiley Wink

28 REPLIES
Senior Instructor

Re: Something is messing with my HughesNet Usage Meter

Sometimes the meter registers the wrong cycle starting date. For me, it usually shows it starting a day before as the worst case. I've never seen it go off by 11 days like that, assuming your cycle does in fact start on the 2nd.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Senior

@MarkJFine wrote:

I've never seen it go off by 11 days like that, assuming your cycle does in fact start on the 2nd.

Not only that,  you might notice that I have only a 20GB plan.

When the graph mis-cycled, it doubled everything.  I did not start with 40GB.

I suspected that my data usage was doubled also, Smiley Wink the way it dissappeared so quickly.

I dont have 3 GB of tokens either.

My cycle did indeed start on Jan 13- Feb 12

Perhaps I should try to delete all the cache files, restart the HughesNet Usage meter, and post a new snapshot.

Distinguished Professor III

@kitnbob 

@MarkJFine 

There's another thread where a person's graph is doing something similar.  The graph looks as if the data reset two thirds of the way through the cycle.  It's very odd.  In another one the dates are different, as is the apparent plan size.  It's almost as if his system is showing someone else's information.  

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Now-both-upload-and-download-slow/m-p/108778#M73919

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Senior

@GabeU 

@MarkJFine 

Gabe, good catch on that other graph. Interesting that the other reset cycle is the date that my graph malfunctioned. Kinda like my graph received His data reset.

Mark, I deleted the cache and the Local storage "file_0.xxx"UsageMeterMess-4.PNG

My graph is more accurate now. Smiley Happy

1 cache file and 1local storage file were reduced in size.

the rest remained the same. the erroneous data was over-written

Senior

@GabeUUsageMeterMess-5.PNG

This is last months usage graph, a more usual month.

Perhaps my graph was receiving HIS usage data too.  Smiley Surprised

@kitnbob wrote:

Gabe, good catch on that other graph. Interesting that the other reset cycle is the date that my graph malfunctioned. Kinda like my graph received His data reset.

As wacky as this whole thing is, it almost wouldn't surprise me.  Smiley Tongue  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Senior Instructor

It's also possible the cache got corrupted. Good thinking.

Edit: Not only possible, but it looks like that was it. That's a first for me.

I doubt you were getting someone else's data since it's all keyed by account and virtually impossible to query. It's more likely that there was old data in the cache and additional data got interspersed somehow. If you've looked at the innards of the file, it's basically a SQL dump format with some whacky control characters in there.

The history data is read basically once a day when you see the whirlygig "loading" and stays that way until the first time you look at it the next day (after midnight). So it could have just gotten jumbled up at that point. I have a theory that the database queries have been getting interrupted or failing, causing other issues like the 'no VDS' problem.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Is the "file_0.xxx" being referred to in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\Local Storage ?

Edit:  Would dumping the entire Hughesnet Usage Meter folder, like we do for the JavaScript error, fix the problem if it rears its ugly head? 

Senior

@GabeU wrote:

Is the "file_0.xxx" being referred to in C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\Local Storage ?

Edit:  Would dumping the entire Hughesnet Usage Meter folder, like we do for the JavaScript error, fix the problem if it rears its ugly head? 

Yes and Yes. I remember the JavaScript error. 

Deleting the entire folder works, but I like to find out what and where the problem is. So I selectively removed just a few files and the graph was corrected.

Not sure if "file_0.localxxx" contributed to the Usage graph or not. After restarting, the re-written file was smaller, it could have been corrupted also. 

Mark and I believe the cache files are more to blame, and we all believe that clearing the cache once in a while can be benificial.   And I'm still learning. Smiley Indifferent