cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed test inaccuracies

Highlighted
New Poster

Speed test inaccuracies

I've been calling into tech support since five minutes after the installation tech left my house. My speeds have been terrible and never once close to advertised speeds. I have had cases escalated numerous times to "engineers" who take a look at what is on their screen and close my case saying I have "good speeds". I sent in screen shots to the HughesNet facebook page and basically got the same thing, but he referred me here. I've been given every excuse they have; "The relay in Texas is being worked on.", Your region is experiencing slow speeds due to maintenence.", "We are working on widening the beam to your satellite.", none of these things excuse the poor service and abysmal speeds I've experienced. My last test which I sent screenshots of to the Facebook tech showed .18 Mbps download and 2.86 upload with a web response of 8.1 seconds. Regarrdless of running these tests with techs while on the phone and having my cases "escalated" not once has a tech been sent out to see where the disconnect is. Now after 3 months of this I am considering this a breach of contract. No professional company promises speeds of 25 Mbps and in reality gives you less than dial up speeds and then refuses to send out a tech to inspect your equipment, but continually offers excuses and asks you to wait patiently while they "fix their issues". I want a tech to come out and inspect my equipment and either replace or adjust it and verify my slow speeds personally or own up to their inabilty to provide the service promised when I signed on with them and let me search for a better ISPresponse.jpg

speed.jpg

2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Speed test inaccuracies

@captainprosser

They aren't going to send a tech out when sending a tech out isn't going to change anything, and they can deem if a tech visit is needed by remote diagnostics.  Sending one out would probably be a waste of time.   Also, though 25Mbps is advertised, it is not a promised speed.  This, however, is neither here nor there, as your speeds should not be anywhere near as low as you're showing and there definitely appears to be a problem.  

With that said, if you'd like to troubleshoot your speed issues here, please perform the following speed tests.  Also, if you are unaware, the reps here are corporate level reps, unlike the phone reps, so the help you will receive here will be different than the help you receive on the phone.  And though I'm sure it's very frustrating, the third thing you were told, which was regarding beam expansion, may very well be true.  There has been a noted speed issue for some and there are beam expansions that are presently happening to help alleviate the issue.  With that said, though, some speed tests will still need to be performed to not only establish the issue (these speed tests are different than the ones you've already run), but to help point to the cause of the issue. 

For the tests, please create an account at testmy.net if you do not already have one.  Make sure that when you run the tests, you run them while you are signed in and on a single device that is directly connected to the HT2000W with a LAN cable.  Please also disable the WiFi in the HT2000W while you are running the tests.   If you are unsure of how to do this, please see section 6 of this PDF (uncheck SSID enable for each radio and click Save Settings after doing so for each).  Please run 3-5 tests throughout different parts of the day, then post your testmy.net Results page URL so that the test results can be looked at.  Please be sure to use the manual 25MB test size for download tests and the 4MB test size for upload tests, though the download tests are the more important of the two.  The reps will not be back on until Monday, so this is a good opportunity to get a few tests in before then, if you are able.  Once the reps see your test results, they will help you.  And again, these are corporate reps, so you WILL get help here. 

The following is the protocol for the speed tests, including much of what I already mentioned above....

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns you should create a testmy.net account and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

Re: Speed test inaccuracies

Thank you. I will try to get it all done this weekend. One of the "engineers" had me some of thse things already ie. turning off all other computers and devices except the LAN connected one. They didn't tell me to turn of the wireless on the modem though. Thanks for the checklist, I do realize this is the corporate folks the tech I talked to on facebook messenger referred me here for that reason. I'll post the link to the results here once I've finished the tests.

Thanks again,

Richard

Tags (1)