cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds are too slow- Help!

Highlighted

Speeds are too slow- Help!

Upload/Download speeds are soooo slow. I called and was blown off. I tried to play with router settings but no help. Can someone give me an honest opinion and hope for speeds that make this 80 dollars a month just a little bit worth it all. I need to work from home and I cant with these numbers. I don't need tokens and I haven't used barely any of my monthly allotment.

DateDownloadUpload

7/10/2016 5:13     777     487

7/10/2016 5:11     764     510

7/10/2016 5:08     833     520

7/10/2016 5:06     749     466

7/5/2016 0:01     12805     52

7/4/2016 23:59     5113     39

7/4/2016 23:41     2062    156

34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Speeds are too slow- Help!

The 1st thing you have to do is connect 1 computer directly to the modem. No router. Then run some speed test. Get a account at http://testmy.net/ . Then runs some speed test and post your link to them here. Run the test at least 5 mins apart and morning, noon and evening times. Be sure to use the 12 MB file size.
Highlighted

Also, with the variation of the readings, check for line of sight obstruction, twigs,limbs,etc, by sighting down the arm from behind the dish and see if anything could be blowing into the line of sight. Doesn't take much to mess the signal up. I've seen just 1 small twig in the LOS make a difference. Also check that the connectors are at least finger tight. (1 on the modem, 2 on the ground block, and 1 on the radio. Best to unplug power from Modem first to avoid any radio Radiation.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

suebee68,

As Ricky stated, please set up an account at http://testmy.net/ and, while signed into that account, run some download tests using the manual 12MB test size.  Make sure to run blocks of at least three tests, which each test spaced (at least) five minutes apart, and run a block at various times of the day, or at least when you are able to.  At the same time, you can do upload tests, as well.  When doing the upload tests, make sure to use the 2MB manual test size, and do them spaced like the download tests. 

When you have some tests completed, click on the "Results" tab at the top right, then copy and paste your results URL into a post so the tests can be viewed.  It will look like the following...

http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]  

It's very important to be signed in at testmy.net when you do these tests so it saves a record of the tests and gives a running tally.   It also makes it so each individual test can be looked at along with the particulars of the test. 

Both Hughesnet's own and the testmy.net tests are the only tests acceptable as accurate by Hughesnet because of the protocols used for the tests.  The testmy.net tests just seem to be more popular than Hughesnet's own and they give more info. 

Good luck.  Look forward to seeing the results.   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Alum

Hi suebee,

Hope everyone's suggestions were able to help. You should definitely be taking the router out of the equation to get an accurate base line test. Then please post more results so we can continue to assist! Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks,
Chris
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

I have to start remembering to add that very important step in the instructions. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

will do - had to pay for hotel all week in Denver as I couldn't do my job with Hughesnet ... Will be to my house in a few days
Highlighted

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled suckie slow internet with customer service telling me everything is fine.

slow speeds in the kb range on upload and download - customer service says everything is fine. Should this be a crime that they suck money out of people and don't bother listening to the problem and helping people get the speeds that I KNOW satellite can give??? I have posted my speeds in other conversations but cant seem to find those replies either ... JOYFUL!
Highlighted
Alum

Hi sue,

Just checking in to see if you were able to run some more tests for us to evaluate. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Chris
Highlighted

nothing in way of dish-