Hughesnet Community

Status Meter vs Usage History

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbterrell

Status Meter vs Usage History

After almost a week of HughesNet service, my Status Meter shows 100% Remaining of my Anytime Data and 100% Remaining of my Bonus Bytes.  My Usage History shows over 9Gb of Total Data used (but does not differentiate between Anytime and Bonus data). 

It looks like there are other issues associated with the Status Meter but I did not see this issue raised.  I have Windows 10 desktops and a Windows 8 laptop, all have the same issue.

As a new customer I'm trying to manage my usage to stay within my plan.  Is there a setting that I'm missing or a previous version I should pursue?

Thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2
Liz

Hi jbterrell,

Welcome and thanks for posting. Your Status Meter isn't inaccurate; to quote one of our community champs who has best explained why your Status Meter is always at 100%:

For your first 20 days or so, your data will reset every night. This is done as a courtesy to allow all your devices to update that may have not been connected to the Internet for a while. 

Here are things to check for unwanted data usage:
  • Make sure your computer is absolutely free of viruses and has good anti-virus software installed.
  • Make sure your router is locked down so neighbors can't get into it.
  • Some wireless routers may use data.
  • Many applications use data, even when you're not on the computer, including OS and application updates, cloud backup, file sharing programs, etc.
  • All of your devices may potentially use data if connected to your wireless router, including desktops, laptops, tablets, smart phones, Internet connected smart TVs and satellite receivers, and any Internet enabled appliances.
Install the free program, Glasswire, from Glasswire.com. It will help you see which programs on your computer are using data, how much and when. It will only monitor the computer on which it's installed.

Review other topics on this forum about data use for other things to check out.

The bonus data period is from 2 AM to 8 AM, and in your time zone.

If you have additional questions or need more tips on managing your data, feel free to come back to the community.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

jbterrell

Liz -

WOW!!  That's a pretty nice courtesy.  Thanks for the info.  I'll look into Glasswire.  I appreciate the quick response and the get-up-to-speed assistance.

Jim