Super SLOW speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
genejohn2147
Sophomore

Super SLOW speed

https://testmy.net/quickstats/genejohn2147 Above are my results for random generated data. The problem is that I download web sites, you tube videos, and programs. Yes random generated data downloads at 25Mbps but I have no use for random generated data. For your information I want to download web sites and software. Some web sites will not download, they time out, before the data can be transferred. A person that understands computers will use their Task Manager to view download speeds. My speeds range from 8 to maybe 500Kbps. It takes an hour to download a 25 Mb file and that is at night between 2 and 8am So I think you can see that Testmy.net speeds have no bearing on the real world of downloading data that I want to use. My old dial-up service was better than HughesNet.
32 REPLIES 32
MarkJFine
Professor

The point of using TestMy is to get a speed reference to a known entity, using a known protocol.

Your speed anywhere else on the internet will depend upon the path you're routed through and the server you connect to and may not be the same thing.

You should know that there are problems trying to download anything that's behind certain servers, such as Akamai, which Microsoft uses. Those have been severely throttled and gap-ridden either by Akamai themselves, or someone in the path.

If you specifiy where you're trying to download that's giving you a problem and what beam you're using, perhaps the HN techs can investigate. However, "a 25 Mb file" isn't going to be specific enough for them to do that.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Liz

Hi genejohn2147, 

Thanks for posting and sharing your testmy.net results URL. I just ran diagnostics on your site and that's also showing that the HughesNet equipment is working normally. Which site(s) is loading slowly for you?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Which site is loading slowly, ALL sites load slow. Just now HughesNet took me 3 tries to log in. The last time looking at Task Manager, Performance, Ethernet speeds varied from 8 Kbps most of the time, 100 Kbps occasionally, up to 400 Kbps top speed. Other sites I just checked were wdbj7.com weather map, Avast.com (need to reload my browser) trying to download which takes 30 minutes for a 5Kb exe file, which will not install because there are errors in the downloaded file, my email is slow, AugustaHealth.com medical records, are just a few sites I just checked and never seen any speeds over 500 Kbps. I am using Chrome browser now but I had been using Avast Secure Browser until it quit. I can not get a new file to install. Hughesnet was installed in October 2019 and the only time I see 25Mbps is when I call Tech Support. They dial up the speed while I am on the telephne (this was when we could reach Tech Support by phone) and then a few hours they cut the speed back to almost nothing. I had called 3 or 4 times and the same thing happened each time. Also happened when they sent a tech to my house, worked fine while he was checking the system, but was back to slow the next day. Many times I get an error message saying site is not responding, do I want to quit. If I wait another 2 or 3 minutes the site will finish loading. As I said before I do not care if TestMy says my download speed is 100 Mbps, I never download random generated data. My download speed shows up in Task Manager.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

To have speed issues addressed in this community, running speed tests at Testmy.net is required. 

I did, see my first post
maratsade

Your speeds look good, and apparently there's nothing wrong with the equipment, so this may be related to what Mark discusses in his post. Could also be related to how many devices you have connected, or how many people are using your system at the same time.  In any case, I hope this gets resolved for you, as I know how frutrating this kind of thing is. 

Only my computer is connected to modem and I am the only user and the sun is shining. it does not make any difference which web site I try to connect to and this has been constant since the system was installed in October.
GabeU

@genejohn2147 

A couple of suggestions....

The first is to get a snapshot of what you're seeing when a particular website times out.  The second is to install a load timer for the websites.  "Page load time" is a good one for Chrome.  I used it when I had a problem with Facebook taking minutes to load, while everything else was fine.  It will show how long it's taking web pages to complete opening, as well as specific elements of that time, and you can take a snapshot of that, too.  If and when you do, it'd be a good idea to get the system clock in the snapshot, as well.

I installed page load time and it sure does not show me anything. ALL web sites load slow. It does not make any difference, banks, credit card, hospital My Chart, etc. EVERY web site loads slow and the Task Manager, Performance, Ethernet never registers above 1 Mbps, most of the times speeds are below 100Kbps. I downloaded a MP3 file and I did see some 1 Mbps speeds, that was unusual. And it does not make any difference if the sun is shining or it is raining. Slow all the time. The local telephone company is installing fiber optic cable, so when that is installed and running I will be cancelling this garbage HughesNewt.
GabeU

@genejohn2147 wrote:
I installed page load time and it sure does not show me anything.  

It should show the load time of websites.  I used CNN for this arbitrary example...

Capture.JPG

The total page load time is shown as a blue number, representing seconds, on top of the extension icon, but if you click on the icon it gives you a breakdown, as is shown.  The blue highlight in the breakdown is automatic.  I dind't choose it.  The Load event "sum" is the total page load time.

You'll also notice that, for this example, I moved the window down to the corner so I could also get my system clock in the snapshot (the snapshot was taken using the Windows Snipping Tool).  Knowing the time of the event can help the reps.

Message is for Liz,

ALL web sites are slow ALL downloads are slow, all speed tests give me 50 to 100 Mbps, when I open a web site speeds are from 8Kbps to maybe 500 Kbps, Yes that is K not M.

Thank You

Gene Johnson

GabeU

@genejohn2147 

I know you addressed Liz, and I'm sure she will reply to you, but you have to keep in mind that your network speed when opening web pages is very different than your overall service speed.  My speeds are decent and I have no issues, yet when I open web pages the network shows Kbps range.  I just opened five web pages, ranging from basic (google.com) to bandwidth hungry (weather.com), and it topped out at 640Kbps.  This is why network speed in action is not used to demonstrate overall speed.  

The snapshots I mentioned would still help to demonstrate if web pages are taking an inordinately long time to open for you.  

Good luck.

I was told to post my case number here.  This was supposed to have been escalated, but I have not heard anything.  426632890, here is another 128742869.

maratsade

You need to start a new topic -- you have piggybacked onto someone else's, and you may not get an answer.  To assure visibility and an answer, go back to the main Tech Support page (https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/bd-p/TechSupport), click on the Start a topic button, and put your information there.  You can copy what you posted here and paste it there. 

GabeU

@r0ttie1 

To allay any confusion, maratsade's reply was for you.  Please follow his instructions to start a new topic, or click here to do the same.

Hi Gene,

What Gabe said. Various websites will take various amounts of time to load, regardless of the speed we deliver. Like right now, your diagnostics are showing the HughesNet equipment working fine and receiving 30 Mbps in download speeds.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Now I understand, The HughesNet advertisement that states "Blazing-Fast Internet Speeds from 25 Mbps-1 Gbps!" only refers to useless Speed Test data and has nothing to do with what everyone thinks it should mean. I had expected that speed for web sites that i go to everyday, I expected videos and programs to download at 25 Mbps. Sorry I did not understand your way of advertising. As soon as my local telephone company finishes installing the fiber optics cable to my area, I will be saying bye-bye to HughesNet and their misleading advertising. And Liz I am sorry that the HughesNet corportate management has put you in this position.

Gene Johnson

@genejohn2147 wrote:

Now I understand, The HughesNet advertisement that states "Blazing-Fast Internet Speeds from 25 Mbps-1 Gbps!

There's never been an HughesNet-authorized advert stating 1GBps. Are you sure it wasn't an unscrupulous reseller?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

" The HughesNet advertisement that states "Blazing-Fast Internet Speeds from 25 Mbps-1 Gbps!"

Gene, I'm sure that the reps here would like to see this advert if you have it, or have a link to it. The speeds are up to 25Mbps, and even though you can get higher speeds, 1 Gbps is not in the realm of possibility for satellite. 

Check your snail mail the ads come every week.