cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super slow speed during daytime and fast during "bonus time" WTH!!!!!

maxvonauto
New Poster

Super slow speed during daytime and fast during "bonus time" WTH!!!!!

Got Hughesnet a few months ago.  Worked ok.  However, over time it's gotten slower and slower until I just couldnt take it anymore.  Yes, I always check my data so that's not the problem.  I mean SLOW, slower than the uplink speed!  So I called the tech line and went through all the process and was told my issue was elevated to the highest "super duper egghead level tech team".  No response for several days so far. 

Here's what is known;

1) Satallite link looks good (HT2000W Modem)

2) Speed is slow even with WiFi disabled and connected via LAN

3) Speed is slow even with all WiFi devices (other than 1 doing the test) disconnected

4) Modem/Router re-booted, different channels tried, different frequency tried, NO CHANGE

5) IE cleared of all history, NO CHANGE

6) Only 4 or 5 other networks within range of my WiFi Router

7) Plenty of PLAN Data available with extra tokens to boot

8) MOST INTERESTING, speed jumps to 25-30 mbps during "bonus hours" and back again the next daybreak

9) During daytime speed tests the needle will occasionaly "jump to max" but goes immediately back to RED suggesting some kind of throttling

10) Internet house phone (LAN to Modem) is useless, (hope I don't have an emergency).

My analysis - Hardware on both ends is good as suggested by the excellent bonus hour performance.  The performance linkage and timing between "plan hours" and "bonus hours" suggests Hughesnet system isn't seeing my available PLAN data and is throttling me back. 

Seem pretty basic to me.  So why the **bleep** can't they fix the problem?  I'd hate to think there's some algorithem built into the system that progressively slows your speed regardless of available (paid for) data.  Like the frog and the hot water.  Raise the water temp slow enough and the frog wont notice he's being COOKED! 

12 REPLIES 12
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Re: Super slow speed during daytime and fast during "bonus time" WTH!!!!!

10) Internet house phone (LAN to Modem) is useless, (hope I don't have an emergency).

Not sure about the other problems but phone will not work well unless you mean the HughesNet VoIP service.

6) Only 4 or 5 other networks within range of my WiFi Router

Please explain what you mean about the "other" networks.

maxvonauto
New Poster

Birddog,

Regarding the Internet phone (Magic Jack).  I assume it competes for bandwidth just like any other device connected directly (hardwired) to the modem.  With everything else disconnected or disabled the reception is so bustered it's impossible to communicate.  In essence, it's just another way to test my speed, just like doing a hardwired speed test but a more practical example. 

As far as outside competition for local bandwidth, I live on top of a hill with only a few other homes.  When I look for other wifi signals I only see a few. 

Liz

Hi maxvonauto,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community!

After running and reviewing your site diagnostics, we have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Wednesday, Oct 4, 2017 between 8:00 AM-11:00 AM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #106583647 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maxvonauto
New Poster

maxvonauto
New Poster

Liz,

Thanks for the help in getting a tech out yesterday.  He did the typical tests and ended up re-pointing our dish to get a few more dbs.  That's all he said could be done, our area got a weak beacon and we'll just have to live with it.  After he was done we tested the speed using the Hughesnet site and it was a bit over 10mbs.  Better than the less than 1.0 I was getting during daylight hours. 

Today I got back on and things seemed a bit slow so I checked again, LESS THAN 1mbs AGAIN!!!! (good weather).   Now, I don't care how much traffic, interference, or whatever other outside influence might be affecting my speed, going from 30mbs to less than 1 is simply unacceptable and a breach of contract.  I say 30mbs as I can consistantly obtain that speed during bonus time and I think Hughesnet says min 30mbs. 

I've probably spent 5gb of data looking for a problem on my end and it keeps coming back to some kind of Hughesnet throttling of my remaining data during regular hours.  In fact, my "usage meter" says I only have about 9% remaining (aprox 3gb).  However, several days ago I bought 10gb of tokens.  Why doesn't my "meter" reflect actual paid for data, ie 13gb, and show a remaining balance of over 40%?   I can see it in my history report.  Just doesnt make sense to me. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@maxvonauto wrote:

In fact, my "usage meter" says I only have about 9% remaining (aprox 3gb).  However, several days ago I bought 10gb of tokens.  Why doesn't my "meter" reflect actual paid for data, ie 13gb, and show a remaining balance of over 40%?   I can see it in my history report.  Just doesnt make sense to me.    

When you purchase Tokens the data doesn't get added to the Service Plan Data.  It goes into what's referred to as the Token Bucket, and your token data is only used once your service plan data is exhausted.  If you exhaust your Service Plan Data the service will automatically start drawing from the Token Bucket.   

When looking at your Hughesnet Usage Meter, you should see your token data below the Service Plan Data in a section called "Token Bytes Available".  You can also see it below your normal data in the Usage section of the Hughesnet myAccount site.  There it's called "Data Tokens Available".  http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount

Edit:  In addition, your purchased Token data rolls over, unlike your Service Plan Data and Bonus Zone data.  Also, if you only use part of your Token data, what's remaining will roll over, as well.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maxvonauto
New Poster

It's Thursday night 11:25PM.  Just ran speed test, was 2.08.   

maxvonauto
New Poster

Thursday night 11:59PM, just ran speed test, 39.01  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!    35 minutes after my last test (almost midnight now) and my speed jumps from 2 to 39!  WTH?   

maxvonauto
New Poster

Sat night 11:37PM, ran speed test - 0.34

Sat night 11:55 PM, ran speed test - 1.22

Sat night 12.01 AM, ran speed test - 23.49 !!!!!!!!!!

Again, speed was slow all day and suddenly at midnight it turns from a frog into a prince.   Down to 5gb data but have 11gb in tokens already bought, so data is not the issue.  Again, WTH?