Super slow speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
M_
Sophomore

Super slow speeds

Like many other people here, I'm experiencing less than 1mbps download speeds, packet loss and high latency - compared to what it has been in the past. I"m on Gen 5 and up until recently had been really happy with my service. I was seeing anywhere from 10mbps to 35mbps depending on time of day. I opened a ticket with support 2 days ago and after going through troubleshooting with 1st level it was determined that the issue is on the satellite end of things and as this was over the 1st tier support's training he decided to escalate the ticket, which meant I would receive a call within 24 hours. Perfectly understandable. That didn't happen. 2 days later (just now actually) I received a call back. The engineer I spoke to was very nice but basically told me that service had been oversold in my area and my beam is overloaded. Yay. Engineering is working on the issue and it should be resolved sometime over the next few weeks. Great. (yes there's sarcasm here). I was offered a discount, which I will accept obviously since I'm beyond the point of cancelling - not that I have any other options for service anyway. I have to say though it's pretty poor sales management to allow an area to be oversold to the point of a service being barely usable. I get it, Hughesnet wants to sell more, make more. Who doesn't? But when you are allowing the service you are selling to degrade this much why not stop selling until you get the problems fixed? I'm pretty sure if I were calling in for new service they'd sign me right up and schedule a tech to come out. I guess I'd be a poor business manager because that's not the way I would handle things. Very disappointing. 

3 REPLIES 3
mthorne

Having the very same issues here in northern Idaho! Got the same explanation and discount, and the story that it would be fixed in the next few weeks.  It's been over a month and download speeds are hovering around 0.4 mbps. When Frontier increases their capacity in my area I will pay the cancellation fee with HughesNet and switch to Frontier DSL. HughesNet is really lame!

It didn't occur to me sooner, but I'm assuming the issues I'm experiencing with <1mbps speeds are also causing my voip phone service to also be degraded. 😞 I haven't heard or seen any progress in fixing whatever the issue is with Beam 67. I'm thinking of dropping the phone service since it's unusable - people on the other end of the call cannot hear me. @Amanda or @Liz is this something you can assist with? I would keep the service if I thought the fix was coming really soon. But it's been a month (nearly) and it's the same slow speed 😞 Maybe you can find out status on the fix for my slow problem? I was told by the escalation engineer that it should be fixed over the next few weeks...

Hi M_,

Thanks for posting and reaching out for help. I pulled up your account to investigate and I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns. 

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!