Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible mistake: Part II

Highlighted
Sophomore

Terrible mistake: Part II

Re: Terrible mistake switching to HughesNot: Part II
I don't know what happened to my original "Part II" post. Last I saw was that it was submitted for "approval". I will try to rewrite it here.
Out of the blue I received a phone call from HughesNot Engineer/ Tech named Javier. He was calling about a support request I had made. It was a little confusing because I had numerous requests in place and finally figured out it was for a request from 4 days prior (Dec 27) for no internet service that fixed it self the next morning with no explanation on why. Javier did not know any of this but agreed to discuss my latest service request from 2 days before (Dec 29) concern the ongoing and continuous slow and buffering service. He did some checks and finally said a technician would need to make a house call to check the set up and equipment. He said this would be "no charge" and was set up for Jan 3. I also asked about a refund for the terrible service from day 1 and he credited my account with a 1 month service credit. He was very polite and helpful. Too bad he cannot pass these traits in to his coworkers.
On Jan 2, after dealing with the usual slow internet and now on the reduced download speed (if you think the high speed is slow, what until you are on the reduced download speed!) and looking at buying a $30 data token I realized that even by some miracle the internet speed and buffering issues are fixed that I will need to buy a more expensive monthly plan with more data or buy tokens. Based on this and the 0 likely hood that HughesNot will ever provide a decent internet service, I decided to cancel and pay the $400 cancellation fee. It is not as bad as it sounds when you look at the length remaining on the contract and looking at spending an additional $30 to $45 per month for the next 22 months then I actually save about $600 and will have a chance to check out a couple of local tour based internet providers. Worse case I can always go back to Att that I had before. I know now after the HughesNot experience that I will never complain about Att's phone line internet service again. In fact I take this opportunity to apologize to Att.
I called HughesNot Jan 2 to cancel. After the mandatory "on hold" and music punishment, I spoke to a lady in accounting. She didn't seem surprised or make much of an effort to change my mind although she did ask the reason and and I replied not reason but reasons and that she had probably heard them a 1000 times already. I mentioned that the following day from a previous appointment made that a service tech was scheduled to arrive to check equipment and since I now had decided to vancel he could remove the dish. She immediately said that the do not remove the dishes and that I had to remove and return the equipment except for the dish! The dish was mine! WooHoo! What a deal and for only $400!!! They do supposedly send instructions and a shipping code