HughesNet Community

Terrible service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Handleys

Terrible service

Runs out of data to fast. The countless threads about managing your data says enough about that. Cant even stream sd netflix let alone another streaming site such as twitch.tv even on unwatchable graphics settings. 30 gb of data is less than a normal game download on the PC ( which I play offline games I know it is not meant for online gaming), and I believe that is their top data offer. Just all around not a great service, needs alot of work.
2 REPLIES 2
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Works just fine, here.  I've never run out of data and have never come close without knowing I did so.  Then again, I watch my data usage and don't do things to burn through it very quickly.  My data is precious, so the last thing I'm going to do is burn through it, nor am I going to get angry at HughesNet if/when I do so.  Why would I?  I would be the one who burned through it, not them.    

I use the service within its capabilities and I'm happy to have it.  I don't expect it to be something it's not and for me it works very well for what it is. 

Regarding the apparent streaming issue, if you are out of data and in FAP, streaming probably isn't going to work well.  If you have data, I suggest, as a first troubleshooting step, to stream on a LAN cable connected device to rule out a problem with the WiFi.  You should also disabled the WiFi when trying this.  You can find instructions for doing so in the section titled, "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  If streaming in a higher resolution than SD, please make sure to turn off, or snooze, the Video Data Saver, but please be aware that you will use data very quickly when doing this.  

Edit: Regaring data usage, the following two threads may help...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Might want to read up  on how satellite internet works. It's not cable, and can't be.  

You run out of data too fast because you are not budgeting your your data allowance. Your expectations are not based on the reality of the technology. You need a lot of work.

Runs out of data to fast. The countless threads about managing your data says enough about that. Cant even stream sd netflix let alone another streaming site such as twitch.tv even on unwatchable graphics settings. 30 gb of data is less than a normal game download on the PC ( which I play offline games I know it is not meant for online gaming), and I believe that is their top data offer. Just all around not a great service, needs alot of work.