cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Windows 10 data hog begs to be fed

Tutor

The Windows 10 data hog begs to be fed

I did the windoze updates on two W10 computers this morning, The two pigs sucked down over 450 MB of bonus bytes data. After all this was installed and rebooted, I ran the check again on both compiuters. Now, the windows pig says it wants more updates of 2.07 GB and 2.09 GB.

Good thing I get up at 4 AM.

20 REPLIES 20
Professor

Re: The Windows 10 data hog begs to be fed

Yep, I have the same experience with Windows updates.  My Apple laptop, OTOH, updates beautifully, without any of the Windows data-eating nonsense. 

@GW wrote:

I did the windoze updates on two W10 computers this morning, The two pigs sucked down over 450 MB of bonus bytes data. After all this was installed and rebooted, I ran the check again on both compiuters. Now, the windows pig says it wants more updates of 2.07 GB and 2.09 GB.

Good thing I get up at 4 AM.

Assistant Professor

Yea, my wife got on her 10 computer yesterday, which she doesn't use that much, and it ate over a gigabyte. I had forgotten to put it make in metered data mode after I updated last. Grrrrrr!

Professor

Jeez. Was that from updates?

@BirdDog wrote:

Yea, my wife got on her 10 computer yesterday, which she doesn't use that much, and it ate over a gigabyte. I had forgotten to put it make in metered data mode after I updated last. Grrrrrr!

Assistant Professor

@maratsade wrote:

Jeez. Was that from updates?

@BirdDog wrote:

Yes, it downloaded them in the background while she was just browsing. I try to update it every so often during Bonus time or when I have data left just before reset but I forgot to set it back to metered the last time. Sure miss the old days when could simply set it not to download any update automatcally regardless any other settings one might forget.

Professor

Those background updates are killer. I miss the days when we had more control over our devices.

@BirdDog wrote:

Yes, it downloaded them in the background while she was just browsing. I try to update it every so often during Bonus time or when I have data left just before reset but I forgot to set it back to metered the last time. Sure miss the old days when could simply set it not to download any update automatcally regardless any other settings one might forget.

Tutor

I learned to leave these W10 computers in metered mode all the time so I can't forget to switch it back after doing the updates. Then the miserable windoze update section gives me a download button to click on and make it go.

Tutor

Oh yeah, the 2 GB updates that windoze want to do now are to go from 1803 to 1809. Why do they have to do a major version revamp every 6 months?

Distinguished Professor IV

@GW

Just out of curiosity, where are you seeing the data amounts for the updates that are showing as needed, but have not yet been performed?  Is there a data amount showing on your computer, or are you looking up what each update allegedly requires?

I only ask as this would be great info to see, as it can help me determine whether I want to do the updates "now" or wait until the Bonus Bytes period.  

Edit:  I should ask, is this something that's shown only when you have the computer set to metered?  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Tutor

I reckon it has to be set to metered or the dirty deed would have already been done.

Here's pictures of the two pigs still waiting for their feeding. i think I'll let them suffer for a while Smiley Happy

wupdate1.JPGwupdate2.JPG