This is a joke.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hroberts
Freshman

This is a joke.

We cant even watch a movie or do anything. I have to be on my phone and use the data off of it just to get on here. We have had issues with hughesnet since day one. We try to do anything and it takes so long for anything to load or work. My kids have been trying to watch a movie, it's only an hour and 55 mins long it has been well over 4 hours they have been trying to watch this. Yes our weather sucks here today but even on a normal sunny day we can't do anything with our internet. As soon as I find another carrier we will be cancelling.
17 REPLIES 17
Hardy

Hello Aaron,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I apologize for the slow speeds.  After running some diagnostics on your account, I noticed that you are out of your monthly data allowance. If you go to this link (http://hninfo.us/datatips), it will give you some great tips on managing data.

Thanks,

*Felicia*

Within 10 minutes of our new month we didn't have any data usage for some reason. You guys are a joke. Our internet doesn't work for crap no matter what
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Hroberts wrote:
Within 10 minutes of our new month we didn't have any data usage for some reason. You guys are a joke. Our internet doesn't work for crap no matter what

What size plan do you have?

If you're draining all your data that quickly you must have a lot of devices using a lot of data very quickly. Even with top speed at say 25 Mbps you can't have 3+ devices all competing to use the Internet at the same time, especially streaming. Things will be slowed down a lot and you will use your data very quickly, as you've discovered.

Good luck finding another provider. Most of us only have satellite available for Internet. It is why we try to adjust, learn and do the best we can with what is available.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Hroberts wrote:

Just a thought, but if you are checking your balance with the mobile app and using your phone's data, or another device that is connected to internet other than HughesNet, and your HughesNet modem is not plugged in, your data can't reset.   It will continue to show what it did at the time you unplugged the modem until you plug it back in, enabling it to update your data for the new cycle.  

Though data can be used quickly by various things, it is impossible for and entire month's worth of data to be used in ten minutes.  It doesn't make any sense.  It sounds to me like something is not allowing your data to reset to the new month, like your HughesNet modem not being plugged in.  

Or, by saying "we didn't have any data usage", do you mean that you were not able to access the internet, but you did have data available?  

FN9
New Poster

Hughesnet is the worst.  Even with their "Bonus bytes" They cheat customers by flipping from bonus bytes to customer paid data early.  Also, they will never admit the problems.  Get out while you can .  Warnings about Hughesnet should be all over the internet..  Good luck

GabeU

@FN9 wrote:

Even with their "Bonus bytes" They cheat customers by flipping from bonus bytes to customer paid data early.  

Utter nonsense.  Data is drawn from available Bonus Bytes from 2:00AM to 8:00AM, local time.  

Thanks we are currently looking for another internet provider now

@Hroberts wrote:
We cant even watch a movie or do anything. ....................

I noticed the moderator said you were out of data.   Watching movies will quickly use up all of your data, and then your speed will be  throttled..

As soon as I find another carrier we will be cancelling.

Good luck with that!  I've been looking for fifteen years!

Of course, I'm so far out in the boonies, I can't even get a cell phone signal at my house.  Wouldn't want to  live anyplace else though.

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."
Macbeth

Amen to MacBeth!

maratsade

Your post is puzzling. 

@repo7 wrote:

Amen to MacBeth!

Alanja69
Freshman

I agree... I have had the service for not even 2 1/2 weeks. I have to take a Xanax if I want to watch TV because all it does is buffer. I have been calling in getting told it's a speed issue but some a connection issue meaning I need awifi booster they happen to sell for $99.00 you want me to spend more money before I get my first bill and yet if I want to cancel due to their issues it's going to cost me $400.00 seriously that's just crap. I spent New year's on the phone. Tired
GabeU

@Alanja69

When you're streaming, make sure to turn off, or snooze, the Video Data Saver if the stream is in HD.  It can also help, sometimes, with SD streaming.  Some streaming services stream in HD by default.  

You also don't have to use the WiFi Booster to get better WiFi coverage.  You can use your own router, if you have one.  You aren't required to use the HughesNet modem's built in WiFi.

And HughesNet told me that it shouldn't be off so I was confused because I read your instruction on another post about snoozing the data saver so to my knowledge it's off I'll have to double-check. as far as the Wi-Fi booster I'm not sure how to use the router because I asked HughesNet support department and they said that I could not use a router so I'm not really sure where I hook that up at if you could give me some direction I'd greatly appreciate it cuz I'm going crazy.

Thank you
GabeU

@Alanja69

You absolutely CAN use your own router with the HT2000W Gen5 modem.  Many people do, as they want better WiFi range/coverage and/or better options than the WiFi part of the HughesNet modem provides.  I sometimes use my own router with the HT2000W modem.   

With a router, you would connect it into any one of the LAN ports on the back of the HughesNet modem.  And, to keep the two WiFi sources from interfering with each other, you would disable the WiFi in the HughesNet modem.  To disable the WiFi in the HughesNet modem, please see 5.c. in the section titled "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  In addition to what it shows in the PDF, I actually uncheck the SSID Broadcast boxes, too.  And I also disable the two WiFi radios themselves, by unchecking the two Frequency Band boxes in the Advanced Setup.  I'll post two pictures below to show what I uncheck.  You should click Save Settings after unchecking the boxes, and with the SSID Enable and Broadcast boxes you should click Save Settings, at the bottom of the page, after unchecking them for each of the four radios individually (2.4, then 2.4Guest, then 5 , then 5Guest).  What I mean is, uncheck SSID Enable and SSID Broadcast for the 2.4Ghz band, then click Save Settings at the bottom of the page.  Then do the same for each of the three remaining bands, individually, just like the first.  If you uncheck the boxes for all four, then click Save Settings, the settings won't hold, so you have to do each of the four individually.  You should also change these settings with a LAN cable connected device, not a device connected via WiFi. 

Doing all of the above will ensure that the WiFi from the HT2000W won't interfere with the WiFi of the router you connect.  It's a bit of a pain at first, but once you do it you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly, in case you ever need to re-enable the WiFi in the HT2000W or need to go back and forth, for whatever reason.  

To get to the WiFi settings in the HT2000W modem, go to the System Control Center, then click WiFi Settings.  Your default WiFi Settings password is admin. 

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG 

Again, make sure to change these settings while connected to the HT2000W modem with a LAN connected device.  

If you have any questions, like needing clarification on something, or whatever, please feel free to ask.  The only dumb question is the one not asked.  🙂 

Ok I found the router believe I hooked it up correctly. Router to modem then modem to router? Now I am off to try the next step.
GabeU

@Alanja69 wrote:
Router to modem then modem to router? 

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.  

The router should be connected to one of the LAN ports on the back of the HughesNet modem.

Doesn't really matter since I did this step in down to 50% available this is a joke. Now come to find out the guy that set up my satellite out it right in the direction of a huge tree that according to your tech support on the phone could be the problem

Have not had the service for a full month was told if I cancel there is a $400.00 fee. Ummm ok at this point your going to charge me for a service I have not even gotten to use for a full 30 days without a problem.