Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time of day data was used?

Highlighted
Alum

Re: Time of day data was used?

Hi Kim,

A update is not the only event that can cause your DirecTV to use up data. Was the 15th the first time every plugging it up to your HughesNet system? To help speed up the process and facilicate further troubleshooting I've added some token bandwidth to your account. You should be able to download glasswire on all computers and begin tracking on those devices. As for DirecTV if it was the first time, like most devices it will update to communicate with the servers, just like a computer would which has been offline for a while with no new configurations etc. 

If it is not, at this point you'll have bandwidth to work with, which should help you pinpoint other potential data leaks. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
Alum

Kim,

Seems I missed a few messages while typing. As for the buffering, is that after your data depleted or before?

- Chris

The buffering has occurred since we have had Hughes net. This is the first time that the data has been depleted in this way. The first time we depleted, our package that we purchased was too small. Which I explained to the sales guy that I thought it was too small, and he assured me. Whatever the case, the buffering has occurred since before and after we have had Hughes net. We have never watched a movie on demand or streamed a movie. I truly don't even know that that is like. You can see though, my frustration began since the sales call with HN, so I am tired. Really tired. Thanks for trying, I do appreciate it. It is just going to take a lot to make me see any good in this right now. However, I am and will keep trying.

THANK YOU FOR THE TOKENS! I APPRECIATE THAT AND WILL GET THEM UP AND RUNNING TONIGHT!
Assistant Professor

Buffering can happening on the best operating system especially in HD which is not recommended on satellite capped service. Any streaming should be done in 360p or better yet 240p (SD or low definition). Besides greatly reducing any buffering it also save a TON of data allowance.

like i said, we do not download or stream movies, no netflix acct, nothing. buffering happens 100% of the time any time we have tried. we eventually gave up. we now buy the entire series on dvd and watch something if we want to see something, Unfortunately, this means we dont always watch the shows that are current.
Assistant Professor

Using a router? Does it buffer when directly connected to the modem?

DPC Latency Checker tests your connection and computer to determine if they can handle streaming. Shave 500us off for Windows 8.1 and 10 due to compatibility issues.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

My result which is top of green after deducting 500us for using Windows 8.1:

Buffering always happens at the beginning to load the cache but should not be constant once the video begins.

hi Chris, i am not exaggerating, I have been on the phone for over 2 hours with three different techs. I am now on the phone with Home tech. the tech has advised me to NOT download Glasswire, as it is not "transparent" and you don't know what they are doing to the system... so, while it sounds great and I was prepared to download the PRO system, at 99.00... i am not as sure as to what to do...currently, i am absolutely exhausted, and admittedly near tears, because one tech, will be nice and helpful, and the next will be condescending and rude... i had one tech say in a snarky tone, "perhaps you need to discuss with her husband what he does when you are asleep?" I had the same tech tell me that he was sure i have children and i was not divulging it, basically, i am lying. Frankly, would YOU or any other tech like to see the Dr reports explaining WHY I am physically unable to have children? I am seriously.... I am literally at the end of this saga.   I am going to DC the wifi and walk away... i will come back another day.... i am over done.

Write your states attorney generals office.  In the future save the transcripts of the file to forward.  You may have a criminal case in which you should contact your local police department to log a complaint.  The law is very specific to how a business can treat you and could be liable to a law suit, but you must follow procedures, and file a complaint with local law enforcement for criminal charges, or an attorney for liable cases.  Keep a record of who you talked to, the dates and time.  The Attorney General of your state can act on your and other consumers behalf, but cannot represent you as your attorney.   
Distinguished Professor IV

Lab-Lover,

I have no idea why any tech would tell you to avoid Glasswire.  I can't fathom it.   Perhaps that particular tech is averse to using anything free.  I use Glasswire, as do a ton of people on here, including many of the Champions.  Glasswire won't do anything to your system other than monitor it.  It does to your system exactly what you want it to do.   

The free version of Glasswire is fine.  Glasswire does have it's limitations, as in it can only monitor the device it's installed on, but it's still a great tool.  It would be able to show you exactly the info you are looking for, in that you can narrow the graph down to one hour.   

Also, I noticed some discussion below regarding DirecTV.  The bottom line is this...Hughesnet and DirecTV do not play well together.  Even when not watching anything on demand, your DirecTV receiver will continue to use data, and sometimes a LOT of it.  It will update the guide, program descriptions, and even download films that you never asked it to.  Having DirecTV connected to Hughesnet is a really bad idea.  Even when your DirecTV receiver is turned off it will continue to use your data because it's actually in standby mode, not really off. 

I would not doubt at all that your DirecTV receiver is where your data usage problem lies. 

To paraphrase Frankenstein's monster on SNL:  Glasswire good.  DirecTV bad.  

If you have a Smart TV, using that for Netflix and such will not use more data than the streaming itself (save for an occasional, small firmware or app update).      

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit