cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time of day data was used?

Re: Time of day data was used?

Hi Kim

Yes, that is definitely a program your tech guy would use. The issue is that there was movement showing, so that means there was an active connection this morning. I agree that you should check and see if he got in today so we can correlate it to any usage logged. It would also be good to know what he might have done. Keep in mind those programs do use a good amount of data too.
Remote Access from Microsoft is a standard program, but does not automatically run. LogMeIn would be 3rd party software that isn't automatically downloaded.

Thanks
Amanda

edit:

Just saw your second post. Glasswire is used by many of our customers here and I personally do not see it as a threat, but I don't see it as user-friendly either. I found it kind of hard to navigate myself and don't like that you can only monitor whatever its installed on. I would really recommend getting firmware for your router to do this instead. I believe our members have a recommended one, can't recall.

BirdDog , you may butt in anytime. From what I can see, I think you need a job at HN! Or at least tokens!? LOLOLO advice was noticed. Thanks.
Assistant Professor

Thanks, but I get enjoyment from simply helping people whenever possible like the other Champions here and customers like GabeU. Kind of relaxing for me while having morning coffee. Smiley Happy

Sometimes just getting people to understand satellite internet and its limitations is helping.

Amanda, I spoke to my tech guy. Yes, he installed LogMeIn and yes he was in the system this morning cleaning the desk top as per my request. He only goes in to the system at our request, or he alerts us of a need to go in to the system. I will ask my tech guy about firmware for the router.

I have been fighting with Hughesnet about this for the last few weeks. I told them I have never had an issue of running out of allowance in my entire time of being a customer. But now the last three months, I continue to use all my allowance, since I was sent the new modem. Of course they keep telling me that is not the problem. I am not doing anything differently. 

Penny, what type of data amounts is your system downloading? Please keep in touch w me. Kim
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Lab-Lover,

Just an idea.  I noticed your comment above, and if you feel a little uncomfortable with talking on public message board due to your concerns being more involved, or if you would rather deal solely with the reps, you can always create a new post and make it private during the process.  With doing this, only the Official Reps can see your post and replies and only they can converse with you, which would keep it completely private for you.  The reps on here are at the corporate level, have a lot of experience with helping to pinpoint problems and solutions, and can speak directly with the engineers, which may actually give you much more thorough and involved support than what you can get from the phone reps.

Again, this is just an idea, but I thought I would mention it.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Honorary Alumnus

Lab-lover,

Amanda posted earlier:

"Just saw your second post. Glasswire is used by many of our customers here and I personally do not see it as a threat, but I don't see it as user-friendly either. I found it kind of hard to navigate myself and don't like that you can only monitor whatever its installed on. I would really recommend getting firmware for your router to do this instead. I believe our members have a recommended one, can't recall."

I have used Glasswire without issue for over a year. There is a lot of information displayed so "navigating" could be a little difficult at first but there are a couple of "views" that go straight to the problem ... what used my data and when did it occur.

Here are a couple if screenshots:

Setup:

Understanding the output:

Defining a specific period:

The downside to Glasswire, as Amanda stated, is that it will only show traffic on the single computer on which it is installed. While it can be installed on multiple computers and the data correlated it still leaves the issue of wireless devices.

The only sure way then is to remove the router from the picture and test one computer at a time or get a router that will allow the use of third party firmware such as Merlin that will run on certain routers so that the router can track usage by device:

Thanks! I had no idea that was an option! I appreciate it! I will definitely look to see how that is done.

Gabe, do I start a new post to make it private? Thx