cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To high Latency/Ping

Highlighted

To high Latency/Ping

I use my VOIP phone and Wifi Calling feature on my mobile phones. Since I switched to HughesNet Internet service, these devices do not function as good as they used to. I had a chat with my VOIP customer support, after running a speed test, he concluded that the Latency/Ping I got on HughesNet of 858ms was too high, it needs to be below 25ms. How can I resolve this issue?

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES
Instructor

Re: To high Latency/Ping

You can't. There are several write-ups on here as well as on other telco sites that the inherent latency that comes with satellite internet is not low enough to support their VOIP or wifi assissted calling.

The absolute best you can do, given the distance between you and the satellite, then the satellite and the ground station, and back (~144,000 miles) is about 525 mS, as governed by the laws of physics (speed of light). This does not include any possible processing or other connection time once actually on the internet.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor I

@EaswaraChandran

Just in case you aren't aware of it, HughesNet does offer their own Voice service.  I only mention it in case you have no other option.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Instructor

@MarkJFine wrote:

The absolute best you can do, given the distance between you and the satellite, then the satellite and the ground station, and back (~144,000 miles) ..........

At the risk of being labeled a knit picker, but in the interest of science, the actual distance is closer to 89K miles for a two way communication.

22,236 x 4 = 88,944

Just don't want us "know-it-all's" accused of fake news.  Smiley Wink

Instructor

I do seem to keep inflating it... lol

For some reason the number 36k keeps coming to mind and I keep thinking that's per leg (x4=144).

I may be thinking metric. 🤪

Edit: Sure 'nuff, did a quick .525s*300km/s = 157.5km (39km per leg). D'oh! Metric and vertically dyslexic -  bad combination.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hi EaswaraChandran, welcome to the community and thanks for posting! I'm glad you found the community. 

In regards to your VOIP issue, we can't guarantee of how well the quality your calls will be, however we do provide our own VOIP service, as Gabe mentioned. HughesNet Voice works with satellite internet and an additional perk is it doesn't count towards your data usage, however one thing to keep in mind is there will still be a short delay during calls due to latency. 

The same is said for Wi-Fi calling, it's not suggested with HughesNet due to latency, as others before me have explained in better detail.

I hope this clears everything up for you, but if you still have questions, don't hesitate to ask! Smiley Happy

-Brooke