cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble accessing Google Drive and Docs

Highlighted
Sophomore

Trouble accessing Google Drive and Docs

Does anybody else have troubles accessing Google Drive and Google Docs? I am not throttled. And I don't have any trouble accessing other website - even those that are bandwidth heavy, e.g. YouTube or Facebook. But often I have troubles accessing Google Drive and Docs. The browser will hang, network errors are reported, or timeouts. I've cleared caches and disabled Google's offline extensions. I've restarted all my network devices. Often this will be a problem for hours at a time (typically mornings or evenings) and then clear up.

I need this for work and now that my kids are home, they need access for school. It's incredibly frustrating that they can't access a Google Doc even while they are successfully participating in a Zoom meeting! (Kudos to the Zoom folks for engineering an impressively robust video chat client that operates well even with attrocious satellite latency and typically consumes less than 1G/hr - but I digress.)

I am certain that this is a HughesNet routing problem. How do I know? Because when I connect to my company's VPN and route all my traffic through my employer, then I can retrieve Drive and Docs URLs with no significant delay (except the relatively modest VPN delay). Today I had to have my kids use my laptop so they could retrieve their assignments.

What does this imply? It suggests that the HughesNet path to Google's network is regularly congested. HughesNet needs to increase their land-based bandwidth to Google or add some peering or something. This is so frustrating. And with Covid-19 forcing us all to work from home, it's a showstopper!

Tags (2)
27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Re: Trouble accessing Google Drive and Docs

Routing is handled by the gateway's provider, not HughesNet.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

I often have the same experience with Google drive, and with icloud.com.  Changing networks solves it (for the most part), and I agree with you it's the gateway's provider, and whatever clogging happens along those intertubes as a result.  It's just what it is, and it's likely going to get worse.  I think right now we should shift priorities a bit. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

Routing is handled by the gateway's provider, not HughesNet.

Highlighted
Sophomore

I hope you're not giving HughesNet a pass.

The ISPs bandwidth providers are still the ISPs responsibility to the customer. From my traceroute, HughesNet uses Cogent for its access to the internet - to both Google and my work VPN. One path is regularly congested and the other isn't. It's HughesNet's responsibility on behalf of us to raise congestion concerns with its providers, purchase redundant connections with different gateway vendors and reroute network traffic appropriately, and peer with large providers such as Google or Netflix in order to provide its customers with reliable service.

These are basic responsibilities of any ISP.

Highlighted

"I hope you're not giving HughesNet a pass."

Oh dear, not this again. I fear @MarkJFine  may not have the energy to repeat his explanation of how the backbone provider works. 

Highlighted
Sophomore

@maratsade wrote:

"I hope you're not giving HughesNet a pass."

Oh dear, not this again. I fear @MarkJFine  may not have the energy to repeat his explanation of how the backbone provider works. 

A reference to another thread is welcome. I stand by my argument that the ISP is responsible to its customers for the backbone performance. No passing the buck.

Highlighted

You can use the search box at the top. 

Highlighted
Sophomore

I did. And I limited my search to Mark's posts, too. Couldn't find what you are referring to. There are lots of posts on this board.

@maratsade wrote:

You can use the search box at the top. 

Highlighted
Associate Professor

@maratsade wrote:

Yeah, I don't have the energy. The OP knows it all, so there's no point in a debate.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@dk3 wrote:

I stand by my argument that the ISP is responsible to its customers for the backbone performance. No passing the buck.

HughesNet can't control, nor are they responsible for, things that happen down the line. 

It's very possible, and even likely, that the problem is the result of CenturyLink's progressively worse service.   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro