cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubleshooting Download Speeds

JKV

Troubleshooting Download Speeds

We have routinely run speed tests since the day of installation because it seemed quite slow from the start.  While we understand that download speeds can vary greatly, we have found the highest download speed to be hovering around 1 Mbps (and around 0.5 Mbps when throttled back).  We aren't gamers, but 1Mbps just isn't enough.  What speeds are other users experiencing?  

3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Troubleshooting Download Speeds

@JKV 

A speed of 1Mbps is definitely too low.  Normally, because the speed is so low, I would say to wait to see what the reps have to say, and to leave you modem plugged in, if you normally don't, to allow the reps to run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment to see if anything is amiss.  But, being that it's nearly the end of the normal work day, and a Friday, you may not hear from a rep until Monday.  

My advice would be to wait until the end of the day today to see if you hear from a rep, as there is sometimes a rep on later than normal.  Sometimes until 9PM or so, EST.  Then, if you don't hear from one, I would take advantage of the weekend and run some tests as described below, so that way you have them if they need them.  You don't really need more than a batch of 3-5 at a few different times a day.  Then, come Monday, again, if they need some results, you'll have them.  

Also, before you run the tests, please ensure that you are not out of data and subject to FAP (Fair Access Policy).  You can do so here, or by looking at the HughesNet Usage Meter's data.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed 
-use the 25MB size download test file  

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site (due to being an older site, the stated test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed in the instructions above, in bold, for Gen5)).

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Good morning JKV,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Is your modem currently plugged in and powered on? I'm unable to run diagnostics on your site, however I can see that you've been out of your monthly data allowance since July 21, so at the time of your original post, that was the main cause for the reduced speeds. While I can see your data reset on the 7th, I can't tell much more about your current system status unless I can connect to the modem.

If your modem is already plugged in, try power cycling it by unplugging the power cable from its brick, waiting 30 seconds, then plugging it back in. Give the modem 5 min or so to come back online, let me know once you're back online so we can run new diagnostics on your site.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Hi JKV,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->