cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to understand whether using bluetooth devices at home go against Hughes.net data plan?

Highlighted

Trying to understand whether using bluetooth devices at home go against Hughes.net data plan?

I now know wifi go against my plan data...but not sure about bluetooth...? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!!
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Trying to understand whether using bluetooth devices at home go against Hughes.net data plan?

it all really depends on what the Bluetooth device is.  If it's headphones or a game controller or something like that, it wouldn't affect your data usage.  OTOH, if it's something like connecting your phone to your computer using Bluetooth, it certainly could, but it would be the phone using the data, not the actual Bluetooth.  Bluetooth is just a method of connection, like a LAN cable or speaker wires.

What type of Bluetooth device are you going to be using?

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Trying to understand whether using bluetooth devices at home go against Hughes.net data plan?

It depends whether the Bluetooth is doing something in-house or accessing the internet. If just device to device in your home then no internet is being used. If the Bluetooth is accessing music which is linked to an in-house laptop but that laptop is getting the music over the internet then it is using HughesNet internet data.

Clear as mud?  : )
Highlighted

Bingo!

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Thanks. And actually there is device to device in-house WiFi connectivity also so that is the same. Really no difference in the end, just what your connecting to and if it is accessing the internet.
Highlighted

I actually did that one day.  I had my laptop hooked up to my Hughesnet, but with a LAN cable, not wirelessly.  I then connected my notebook to my laptop wirelessly, and was actually able to access the net on the notebook in this way.  It was a little complicated, though.  I don't know if it would have worked had I wirelessly connected the laptop to a router instead of directly, as then the laptop would have been receiving info from the router and transmitting it to the notebook at the same time using the same wireless NIC, but it was interesting, nonetheless.  Just one of those little experiments you do when you are bored and feeling adventurous.  LOL.   

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

I have a Silicondust box which lets me watch and record OTA television over WiFi on my laptop, no internet involved. My laptop is an OTA DVR, can record, time shift and pause OTA stations. It also has two tuners so can record two at once or watch one while recording another.

Then can plug my laptop into big TV by HDMI and watch recorded shows. Actually can stream that by WiFi but haven't played with it much. HDMI looks fantastic so why mess with a good thing.
Highlighted

How did you manage to set something like that up?  I get the Silicondust box, but the laptop DVR is a mystery to me.  Is it some program that you installed that turns it into this?  Do you use an external HDD connected to the laptop for this?  Can you play the stuff you've recorded on your laptop on your TV by connecting the laptop to the TV, or can you only play the things on your laptop itself? 

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

It requires a software front end which there are many and I have tried many. In the end I settled on Easy HDTV DVR as it is simple without a lot of bloated bells and whistles, it simply works. Also have to install compatible codecs is all, which is pretty easy and free ones like FFMpeg, AC3, DScaler Mpeg decoder, etc.

It was $30 way back when I bought it but now $24. One of the best purchases I ever made, been using it for years.
Highlighted

Pretty ingenious.  You are sounding more and more like the kind of person who, if you didn't have something you needed and buying it was a pain, you could build it or something equivalent.  That's an good quality.