cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uh, Houston, we've had a problem...

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Uh, Houston, we've had a problem...

Anyone else on ES19 having a speed issue tonight that normally doesn't have one like this?  I know of at least one other person, and possibly two.   

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972 

Capture.JPG

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
29 REPLIES
Teaching Assistant

Re: Uh, Houston, we've had a problem...

It's those dang Amazon and Walmart Christmas shoppers! Count my wife among them, lol.

Sophomore

I normally have slow prime time speeds but at least they are consistent. But tonight has to take the cake at 317 kbps. Things had been better for the last week but starting last night they went downhill fast.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/TYGRHobbes

Assistant Professor

BirdDog wrote:

It's those dang Amazon and Walmart Christmas shoppers! Count my wife among them, lol.

Hadn't thought of that.  Darn shoppers!!!!  Smiley Tongue 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Teaching Assistant

GabeU wrote:

BirdDog wrote:

Hadn't thought of that.  Darn shoppers!!!!  Smiley Tongue 

Bad on Gen 4 relatively good beam/gateway also.

Capture.PNG

Teaching Assistant

Up and down. Is peak hours plus Christmas shopping time. And is satellite after all, we all know the limitations (I think).

Capture.PNG

Teaching Assistant

Just popped this number. Like I say, up and down peak time. Seems you folks on the new satellite are not immune either. Could be choking at the gateways. We do share much of those.

Capture.PNG

Senior Instructor

Pretty sure it's gateway congestion, similar to what was seen with ES-17 early on when they couldn't expand gateway capacity fast enough to meet demand... Mods have been going around stating they are adding capacity to the system, though, which gateways that applies to is in the air.

Assistant Professor

BirdDog wrote:

Up and down. Is peak hours plus Christmas shopping time.

While that's certainly in play, I don't think that the only thing in play.  The way it dropped so much all at once...that's really odd.  It wasn't anywhere near this slow on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.  

With that said, I just ran a test and it's back up in the 30s for me.  

What I'm wondering is if, to increase capacity at the beams/gateways that are having issues, they have to reduce it elsewhere.  I don't know if that's the way it works, but it seems plausible.  Whatever is going on, it started yesterday evening for me.

With all of that said, when it was as low as it was, things took a bit longer, but I wasn't greatly affected.  If I had to download something sizeable or was trying to watch a youtube vid it would have been a different story, but that wasn't the case.