cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verizon Extender

Highlighted
New Poster

Verizon Extender

I was told by my local Hughesnet supplier that my Verizon extender would work with the new Gen 5 setup. Due to his information, I went ahead and had Hughesnet installed at my house. The extender will connect but the outgoing voice is almost always garbled. The incoming audio is usually fine. I called tech support and they made a change to my settings which caused a yellow system status light that said the system was in FAP. The audio over the extender didn't get better. I called tech support back again and they reset whatever setting they had previously changed and then said because it was a 3rd party extender, nothing further they could do. The satellite internet speeds are fairly good (45mb up and 3-4 mb down). I have a call in to my local rep but don't anticipate much help since the first time I called him on this, he said to contact tech support.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Verizon Extender

I'm not familiar with a Verizon extender, but it sounds like you might be trying to make calls using Hughesnet.  if so, there's no guarantee that it will work, and, in fact, it normally doesn't, or there are at least problems.  

The only voice service that is supported by Hughesnet is their own VOIP service, which is a separate service from the Gen5 internet service.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Yep, cell over WiFi internet doesn't generally work well on satellite due to the high latency (ping). Is why audio gets garbled.

"The satellite internet speeds are fairly good (45mb up and 3-4 mb down)."

OK, that makes me laugh. Fairly good? Also think you meant 45 down and 3-4 up.

Truth is, 45 Mbps down on residential satellite is fantastic.

Highlighted

@BirdDog wrote:

"The satellite internet speeds are fairly good (45mb up and 3-4 mb down)."

OK, that makes me laugh. Fairly good? Also think you meant 45 down and 3-4 up.

I hadn't even noticed that.  A little topsy turvy.  LOL.  We know what you mean, though, @jeffandcorinna.  Smiley Tongue

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

I was also told my extender would work so I installed hughesnet. I do not believe it is a satellite problem. I had Exede (wild blue) satellite internet for the last 3 years and it worked the whole time. I think hughesnet is somehow blocking it hoping we're will by their voip phone service.
Highlighted

@Smcpherson

It's a combination of the latency and the technology HughesNet uses, both in general, and to try to minimize the effect of the latency on various things.