cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow internet speeds

Freshman

Very Slow internet speeds

From reading some of these post it looks like slow internet speed is a common issue with Hughesnet. My download speed at night is about 300 kbps. I've been a customer for only a few days and spend hours with tech support. I was supposed to receive a callback 24 to 48 hours after our last session. It never came. I’m pretty sure Hugesnet is overselling their satellite.
10 REPLIES 10
Professor

Re: Very Slow internet speeds

From reading some of these post it looks like slow internet speed is a common issue with Hughesnet.
Reading the site skews perception. Hughesnet has a little over 1 million customers. The posts you see here reporting issues represent a minuscule number of customers. So the issue is not a common one, but one that affects a minuscule number of customers. 

A lot of the people who post here have a lot of knowledge and can help you troubleshoot your system, but you will need to get the ball rolling:

You may want to post what modem you have, and what your System Control Center readings are. You will also be asked to run a series of tests at testmy.net.  You may want to create a free account there so all your tests can be kept in one place.
Freshman

Ive call customer support already and they have 2 event records created.  I'm still waiting for the callback from hugesnet.  
Honorary Alumnus

While you are waiting why not just open up the modems internal SCC by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browsers address bar and see if you are in FAP or if you have any active error conditions:

(click on picture for larger image)

Are both of the icons at top center of screen both green?

Freshman

I've already been over this page with the installer, everything checks good on my end.  

Hello bill426,

Welcome and thank you for posting. I'm sorry to hear about us not calling you back within 48 hours, I'm escalating this to the call center manager; that's not the typical protocol.

I see in your notes now that you have confirmed a site visit for tomorrow morning. Please let me know how the site visit goes. 

If you're still experiencing slow speeds, please let me know so I can escalate you directly to our engineers here at corporate.

Our corporate engineers will require speed tests done at testmy.net under your own account. Please follow these instructions if you feel there's no improvement after the site visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 12MB test file
-run a batch of 3 tests during the day/morning and another 3 at night
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

New Poster

I have been sitting here for 30 minutes looking for a way to post on this community site. So here goes my first and last post. It is beyond me how HughesNet service even can call itself a service. I have had this so called "service" for a little over a month. I have had to call customer support several times. Each time I am told a different "solution" to solve this slow service. I can honestly say I was totally misled by the salesperson that signed me up. All I wanted was Internet and a phone. My first mistake was not totally checking out HughesNet. I was moving from one city to another. Spectrum was not available in my neighborhood (best service ever, by the way), so I chose HughesNet. The install was quick so I took it. I did not realize the salespeople were allowed to just outright lie about this junk. I am sorry, I can not think of anything better to call this. It is slow, expensive, and confusing. Why should I perform tests, check my data usage, call for help and actually be sitting here wasting my time posting on a community website voicing my complaints (as suggested by the last customer service rep I spoke to) to get anything done. All I want is out of this 2 year contract that was sold to me under total out and out lies. The sales rep asked how I used the Internet and told me my plan would be perfect, would handle all my needs and I would never have a problem and if I did just "call". Well when I pay for a service , I should not be performing tests, calling and posting all the time. Do you people not have a life? I do and it does not include wasting my time testing, calling and complaining about a service. That's what I pay you for. I just found out yesterday I have a 2 year contract on my Internet AND a 2 year contract on the phone, making that over $600.00 in cancellation fees. It is really sad that a company would prey on people like this. All you have to do is provide a good service, but I guess it is more profitable to lie and cheat people. All I see on this community is people complaining about HughesNet service. Very sad. Well here is my post as recommended by the rep I spoke to. He said this would get me the assistance I need to get rid of this bad and misleading service that is supposed to be an Internet and phone service provider. We will see. Now I guess I will waste more time waiting to see if someone contacts me. I'm sure I will be given some "free" data to hang on and false promises. Not working, just let me go.

Professor

@jjjanette,

May want to start your own thread for more visibility.  I've tagged a couple of mods to highlight your post to them. Keep in mind they may not be able to get to you right away. 

@Amanda

@Liz

New Poster

Not sure I know how to do that, like I said, way too hard to use this and how to do things on it. Any help appreciated. I just think it is all for nothing and just a waste of my time. I feel like I have been kidnapped into a cult. 

Professor

You'd have to post here:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/bd-p/TechSupport

Click to go to the page, then look towards the upper right hand and click on Start a topic.  (Located under your avatar).  Or you can wait for them to see my tag. 

newtopic.png