cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow and erratic internet speeds

Freshman

Re: Very slow and erratic internet speeds

Am I doing something wrong? My service still doesn't work and I'm in my 3rd month. I've called and emailed the service people numerous times and have gotten nowhere. I've done as instructed on this forum and run a bunch of speed tests. Is there something else I should do t get this thing to work? After seeing all the posts from others in the same boat as me I have to wonder if HughesNet is some kind of scam.

Distinguished Professor IV

@m94src

I apologize.  I should have tagged the reps when you posted your speed test results.  They are the ones that will help you.  I will tag them now.  

@Liz

@Amanda

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

I have been having the same issues.  The 31st and first I couldn't connect at all nor was I able to connect to anyone @ hughes by phone.  Maybe they were all out celebrating?

I have had tech people tell me to use the independent speed tests and others tell me they won't honor them as valid and only the hughes' tests are accepted. Also, they suppossedly record the hughes' tests but they don't match what I write down in my calender. The first time I complained about the speeds was the first week it was connected.

The only way I can watch movies is to rebuffer over and over, even you tube. blek.

I want broad band. I want Internet that works that I can afford, preferably before I'm dead. I've heard the rest of the world has it, what's wrong with us?

@DawnDawn

I don't know about the 31st, but over the evening of the 1st to the 2nd there was a widespread outage, which is exceedingly rare.  The phone line was inundated because of this and getting through was practically impossible. 

If you'd like help with your speed issues you should start a new topic, which you can do by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while within the Tech Support section.  

One thing to try regarding the buffering is turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver.  What is Video Data Saver?  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

When you say that you tagged these people does that mean that you have notified them of the problem and that they will take care of it? Do I have to contact them myself?

I went thru **bleep** setting up my pole on my property to get this "Gen 5" system and ever since it has been set up, nothing but 2Mbps tops when it's not constantly fluctuating. Hughes Net keeps passing the buck with lousy and inept service. Not recommended!! I keep getting transfered to different departments and then get hung up on.

Takes 2-3 hours everytime I come up to my cabin to call and complain about it. Will cancel service and recommend to anyone that if they want internet access and their only choice is to use Hughesnet, to forget about the internet entirely as it will be fruitless to do anything such as stream music or movies. Goodbye Hughesnet and sorry for the people that have to deal with them. I will just hotspot from my cell phone (which is faster anyways).

Sophomore

I'm going to reply to this thread because I am in the same boat. I have been dealing with slow speed in the evenings for over a month, have a thread started here, have had a discussion with @GabeU, and still have NOT had anyone from HughesNet try to resolve the issue. This is ridiculous.

To make matters worse, two things happened while in CO last week visiting my family.

1) My sister has internet that bounces from radio tower to radio tower. They pay a fraction of what I pay while only getting about 5mbps download speeds but have ZERO problems streaming live TV or movies at anytime. Oh, and they have unlimited data.

2) Stayed in Granby, CO at a rental house that had HughesNet. Each evening, my girls watched Netflix with ZERO problems... absolutely no buffering and no quality issues. Why can I stream in Granby, CO just fine in the evening but average about 1mbps download here in TX and can't stream anything from 4:00-10:00PM?

@m94src wrote:

When you say that you tagged these people does that mean that you have notified them of the problem and that they will take care of it? Do I have to contact them myself?

It means that they will see a notification of this thread, sort of like when you reply to a thread and then get notifications of replies thereafter.  By tagging them, they'll not only get a notification of my reply and all those afterward, but they'll also get a notification of the tag.  I don't know if they get them in the same way you and I do, meaning a notification on this site and an email notifictation, but they do get them.  

So, no, you don't have to contact them.  They'll reply to you here, and if they need any personal info they'll also contact you through the messaging system on here to keep it private. 

That I didn't tag them when I should have is on me.   I should have done so when I replied to you on the 30th.  I apologize for not doing so then.  

@dirtred9

I just tagged the reps in your original thread so that the reps will be sure to see it.  

Your frustration is understandable and I hope that they reply to you soon.  

Hi m94src,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting your speed tests. I've run diagnostics on your site and at first glace all looks fine, but I did see some state codes I'd like to escalate to engineering for their input. I'll post back once I have any instructions or news for you.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->