cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow (less than 2Mbps) download speeds

Very slow (less than 2Mbps) download speeds

I am turning to this forum for support, as calling the tech support line and spending over 5 hours on the phone with them over the past week of my vacation, I haven't made any progress on our issue. My parents live in rural northern michigan and HN is the only available service (ALLBAND fiber is coming through in the next year!) They had service installed in March of 2016 and have had technicians out several times to rearm their dish, but their internet is still so slow it is unusable. They have two smart phones, and s TV with Netflix. All they want to do is be able to browse Facebook and watch movies. They were told by HughesNet sales that they would get in the 15-20Mbps speeds, but I have speed tested several times over the past 5 days, at multiple times throughout the day, using multiple speed tests, and multiple web browsers. Speeds ranged between 0.4-2.0 Mbps down, and 0.0-0.5  Mbps up. That is unacceptable. I am also not using a router, I am hardwired directly to the HughesNet provided modem.

Help, my number is 231.373.9585  

I would rather have a call, as I have little to no internet access and am having to use my cellular data to tether to my iPhone to get internet service. (kudos to Verizon btw, 20Mbps+ wirelessly from my phone!)
4 REPLIES 4
Associate Professor

Re: Very slow (less than 2Mbps) download speeds

Are you sure they have data allowance left..?  Once out of data, speeds will be throttled back a good bit, and from the speeds you say you are getting, it's possible that the monthly data allowance has been exhausted.

They haven't used any both their data, as they have not been able to access at all. The only data used is what I have used doing speed tests.
Alum

Hi thecrawfords,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear of your parents experience. Can you provide us with their modem serial number? That way we can locate their account and run some preliminary diagnostics. We'll make sure tech support didn't overlook anything when troubleshooting with you. We are about to be out of the office for the day, what is a good time to reach you?

- Chris

Chris,

• SAN: DSS33744463
I am available anytime during the day 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM EST.