cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHY SO SLOW??

Highlighted
New Poster

WHY SO SLOW??

I have now had Hughes for two hours. It is the slowest thing I have ever used!!!! The 25 megs I'm supposed to have?? Where is it?!?! Download speed is between one and two megs!! Before this, I was using my cell phone hotspot, streaming Prime with NO PROBLEM!! Now, Prime keeps stopping, or buffering and ALL video is fuzzy, especially when anything is moving! I will GLADLY...GLADLY cancel this thing and give up the cancellation fee! Can anyone please tell me anything about what is going on here? I would appreciate any input anyone can give me. Thank-you.
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Senior

Re: WHY SO SLOW??

@ScottRhodes wrote:
I have now had Hughes for two hours. It is the slowest thing I have ever used!!!! The 25 megs I'm supposed to have?? Where is it?!?! Download speed is between one and two megs!! Before this, I was using my cell phone hotspot, streaming Prime with NO PROBLEM!! Now, Prime keeps stopping, or buffering and ALL video is fuzzy, especially when anything is moving! I will GLADLY...GLADLY cancel this thing and give up the cancellation fee! Can anyone please tell me anything about what is going on here? I would appreciate any input anyone can give me. Thank-you.

One of the reasons is because the internet is overloaded.  Due to the plauge, there are many more people at home, streaming videos for education or fun.  It's put a tremendous strain on the internet.  It's worse for satellite because we have to keep sending signals back and forth.

What speeds are you actually getting?

Go to testmy.net. Select download.  Select manual. Select 25MB.  Post the results here.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

• The system is designed for 25Mbps down/3 Mbps up. 
  • Given congestion, pandemic,and latency, those speeds may not happen for you.
  • Congestion and latency are more important than actual speed when it comes to your experience.
  • Streaming is being deprioritised in favour of other activities that have to do with learning and business.
  • This is because of the pandemic. 
  • Speeds are not guaranteed. Read the subscriber agreement. 
  • You pay for a data package, not for speed. 
  • The early termination fee applies from the second your system goes live.
  • Did you have other types of internet before? Satellite internet is different, slower, and more limited. 

ScottRhodes wrote:

Highlighted
New Poster

I know, fully, that I'm paying your company for a data plan, not for speed. No one is looking to a satellite company for speed. It was SOLD to me by your person on the phone as 50 gigs per month, delivered at 25 megs until the 50 gigs are gone for the month, at which time it drops to 1-3 megs. If you're going to use the pandemic as an excuse for crawling speeds which won't even stream Prime at standard definition, your phone people need to tone down their script for use with potential customers. Your own site says only 1.5 megs are needed for Prime. I'm getting less than that, sitting here looking at a screen that says internet connection is too slow! It's only my TV connected to your service. No other devices. My computer is connected to my phone, or it wouldn't be possible for me to be online to type this! From your FAQ section: "How fast is HughesNet Gen5? A: HughesNet Gen5 is faster than ever – 25 Mbps download and 3Mbps Upload – and is available to anyone, anywhere, coast-to-coast." Look at that statement. As you, yourself, have established, that is a very incomplete, and therefor untrue statement from a legal standpoint.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@ScottRhodes wrote:
Download speed is between one and two megs!!
My computer is connected to my phone, or it wouldn't be possible for me to be online to type this!

If this is the case, please run a few speed tests as outlined in these instructions.  Please be sure to read the instructions thoroughly before running the tests, and then run them as instructed.  

@ScottRhodes wrote:
It was SOLD to me by your person on the phone as 50 gigs per month, delivered at 25 megs until the 50 gigs are gone for the month, at which time it drops to 1-3 megs. If you're going to use the pandemic as an excuse for crawling speeds which won't even stream Prime at standard definition, your phone people need to tone down their script for use with potential customers.  

If you feel that you were misled by the sales representative, you can request a sales call review.  If it's determined that the sales representative did not set appropriate expectations during that call, you may have recourse.  You can request the sales call review here.  Please be sure to describe why you are requesting the review.  

Lastly, this is a customer to customer support community.  No one you have yet talked to is a HughesNet employee.  HughesNet employees have "Moderator" next to their name.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

I suggest you read the subscriber agreement.

https://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

And the website disclaimers:

*Free standard installation applies to new Lease subscribers only. Not valid with Purchase option. Limited-time offer.

*If you exceed your monthly plan data, you will experience reduced data speeds until the start of your next billing period. Reduced speeds will typically be in the range of 1–3 Mbps and may cause websites to load more slowly or affect the performance of certain activities, such as video streaming or large downloads/uploads. Speeds may vary and are not guaranteed.

**The HughesNet Gen5 service plans are designed to deliver download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps, but individual customers may experience different speeds at different times of the day. Speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed and may vary based on a variety of factors including: the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the capabilities and content of the websites you are accessing, network management practices as deemed necessary, and other factors. When you connect to the HughesNet service using Wi-Fi, your experience will vary based on your proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal.

††Streaming is optimized with video streams at DVD quality (up to 480p). For best performance, leave any video streaming applications at their default automatic resolution setting. Most video services are supported. Not all video sources are identifiable. 3 times is based on average HD bit rate of 3.6 Mbps vs. DVD quality at 1.1 Mbps.