Hughesnet Community

We need a Linux version of the Downloas Status Meter !

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

We need a Linux version of the Downloas Status Meter !

I for one am going to pass on Win10 and the clock is ticking for Win7.
Linux Mint runs very well on my laptop but it would be nice to have a Linux compatible version of the Download Status Meter.

99 REPLIES 99
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I second that motion! Kinda thought there'd be one by now. Others have asked for it for quite awhile, maybe you'll be the one they listen to.

Now the canned answer, "There are several other places to monitor your data usage, at the SCC and after logging into Dashboard".    : )
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

While it is true that there are several ways to skin the cat there is a certain amount of convenience built into the Status Meter.
I see a likely migration from Windows over time and this Linux distro seems quite "Windows like" and surprisingly trouble free for running on a laptop with all the proprietary drivers involved.
It even picked up on my wireless network adopter and wireless printer.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I've been playing with it for some time myself, like it a lot. Just haven't made the plunge into total switch-over to it. Lot of time left before end of support on Windows 8.1.
Amanda

How did jezra get everyone's login passwords? Just kidding. We'll ask again... but no guarantees.

Thanks
Amanda
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Thanks Amanda !
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I prefer Linux Mint over Ubuntu or any of the other Linux distros out there due to its ease of installation, use and smooth operation.  It's easy to understand why it's becoming more popular.   

maratsade

@GabeU wrote:

I prefer Linux Mint over Ubuntu or any of the other Linux distros out there due to its ease of installation, use and smooth operation.  It's easy to understand why it's becoming more popular.   

I was just coming here to ask if there was a status meter that was compatible with Linux, and the system pointed me to this old topic.  I removed Windows 10 from one of my laptops last year and installed Linux Mint and I love it.  I can access the SCC just fine, but I was hoping there'd be a status meter for Linux.  

@maratsade, jezra made a Linux version that I use on my Mint machines:

http://www.jezra.net/downloads/hnsm.apk

maratsade

@Gwalk900 wrote:

Like I had written in the post that went nowhere because I wasn't logged in (Smiley Mad), that's very cool, and thanks for the link!

I too had a post to you go POOF last night due to that infernal auto log off. At least it was a short post.

I have only had one long one lost thus far.

maratsade

@Gwalk900 wrote:

I too had a post to you go POOF last night due to that infernal auto log off. At least it was a short post.

I have only had one long one lost thus far.

I've been trying to remember to make sure I'm logged in before I reply to anything, but I often fail. I've also tried to make it a point to copy every post before clicking "post." Also, mostly fail.  It's so irritating to lose the posts (I imagine it's worse if you spent a long time creating a post), and I hope it's easily fixed from the admin side. Can't stand the auto log off either. I haven't timed it, but it's a pretty short time before the thing logs off.  I'd like the option to remain logged on forever if I want to. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Gwalk900 wrote:

It works on my Android phone also.

I hate, hate the post going into oblivion if not logged on.

maratsade

@BirdDog wrote:

@Gwalk900 wrote:

It works on my Android phone also.

I hate, hate the post going into oblivion if not logged on.

Looks like an Android app -- I think I can't install it to Mint directly....may have to install something else before. 

Have you timed the log off?  I haven't but it seems pretty short to me.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You have to use the Mint installer. The logout timing changes for me with no rhyme or reason that I see, frustrating.

maratsade

@BirdDog wrote:

You have to use the Mint installer. The logout timing changes for me with no rhyme or reason that I see, frustrating.

I'll give it a try.

foxbrook
Sophomore

Kind of hard for marketing to make a case for it based on the usage statistics:
Pawnee County

Get after them Amanda don't just ask say, "we need to ****."
Pawnee County

I switched Linux close to three years ago tried about 5 or 6 different Distros and settled on Mint with WINE and Play on Linux installed.  There is a new release coming soon Mint 18.  I will most likely upgrade to it just to see if it runs my NVIDIA Graphics better.  I did have a problem with hang up on certain Web Sites with Chromium and Firefox but when I switched to Opera those freeze ups seemed to end.
Pawnee County

But what percent of HughesNet Customers use it?  There seems to be a lot of us.  Probably a way higher percentage that this graph shows.  Folks who use HughesNet and stick with it are more likely to change over if for nothing else just to escape the Windows 10 virus and all the add ware and spying that comes with it. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

foxbrook,
Those numbers may change due to Microsoft's lack of quality control, forced Win10 updates, "telemetry" and few other recent changes by Microsoft.