Web Acceleration Status (part 2)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sli-er_15
Sophomore

Web Acceleration Status (part 2)

I couldn't post in my previous post on my problem some weeks ago.
I received my modem from my AK dealer. For some reason it was fine according to them even though the system light is still off. I went through VSAT Manual Commissioning with one of the techs and my connection was fine until later on in the evening. The next day I tried to see if I could get a better signal strength and a higher number for the Cross POL Test. I got as high as 79 signal strength and the Cross POL Test passed with 71. Afterwards the connection was the same as when I posted a few weeks ago. Called the techs and we went through re-registration and registration-installer steps. Everything in System Status showed green but my connection was still the same for some reason. The tech told me to call the advanced support for Alaska but I couldn't get an answer even though I was told it was a 24 hour service.I don't know what else to try.
As of now I'm writing this as my connection seems to be ok for now. 

7 REPLIES 7
sli-er_15
Sophomore

It's odd. Our connection was really good last night until afternoon where it was completely unusable until now. I called the advanced tech but was cutoff during the time I was on hold due to the tech looking into our internet issue. I couldn't call back because of "system issues" or something along those lines. It's pretty frustrating when the System Control Center shows "Green" but nothing works as it should.

@Liz

I just had a one hour phone conversation with the advanced tech for Alaska. He found out with the help of a HughesNet tech that the modem doesn't know about the "unlimited" data, (Fair Access Policy Threshold Exceeded - Unkown). The HughesNet tech updated the modem and everything was fine for a while then it all went back to the usual very slow or no connection again. The tech in FBNKS AK gave me a token to get back online so I could post this.
Seeing as the "unlimited data" isn't working can you please have a tech enable FAP so I know when our data is about to expire, and when it does expire, I can use a token to get our speeds back? Thank you.

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 1.36.47 PM.jpeg

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@sli-er_15 

You have unlimited data, or are supposed to, on that account?  I know that in Alaska things may be different than the lower 48.  

@GabeU It just happened recently when the web acceleration on my modem was disabled. The tech in Fairbanks also asked about it to the advanced hughesnet techs when I sent it in to them for them to check on the system light. He was told it had unlimited data due to covid19. But, it doesn't seem to have unlimited data because my connection slows to a crawl or it doesn't get any connection after working for a few hours during the free download period.

sli-er_15
Sophomore

I contacted a tech about resetting my modem to get back my data usage meter and to see if enabling tcp acceleration would help. I was basically told that I don't have unlimited data and the only way to see how much data allowance I have is to call and ask. The other is to sign in to my account here to view the usage in my account, the problem with that is it only shows 100% remaining even though I downloaded a 65 MB update. If and when my connection "dies" I will need to call for a token, the tech didn't say if I needed to pay for the token each time I need one. So basically, I am blind to the amount of data we can use before running out of FAP.
The tech said tcp acceleration is fine as is right now.

@sli-er_15,

Thank you for contacting us. I had originally had this escalated your issue to find out exactly what the tech was referring to when it comes to "unlimited data". Our Alaskan accounts operate a bit differently and do not always follow the same operations of HughesNet service in other States. I will update you with any information I am able to receive from this escalation.

When it comes to your data plan is, it appears you are on the legacy ProPlus plan. These plans offered 15GB of Anytime Data and 50GB of Bonus Zone. While I am sure this is what you are receiving currently, I will have confirmation once we receive word back from the escalation. 

-Damian 

@Damian 
Thank you for looking into this.

Yes, our data plan is the legacy ProPlus plan that has download allowance of 475MB. I didn't know about the 15/50GB data that came with it. 
Like I said earlier, our data usage meter dissappeared when the tcp acceleration was disable to see if our connection would get better during the first few hours of the bonus zone. Disabling the tcp acceleration didn't help any, it's still the same. I'd appreciate it if I can see our data usage so I can turn off our connection before using up our alloted data until it goes up after a while. As it is now we have to use tokens to get our internet back up and running. Thank you.