Did you mean: 

What a week

Highlighted

What a week

Data got ate by virus
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: What a week

Wow what a week from a hurricane here in east Florida to a virus that ate my data. I found a nasty virus in my comp. called kovertr and or ransom ,it found its way in somehow with Firefox and or java and it ate up most of my data. Anyway I removed it once I figured out something was wrong . On the 3rd or 2nd of last week but I was busy with watching that damn storm. Even once it was removed by scanner it still left apps in start up folder that run internet explorer in the back ground.  Just noticed when I got a min the modem was blinking like crazy and I was not doing anything on computer. I had to restore to a point week back and that didn't work . Then went back to a system Image and killed it. Anyway watch out for it . It will  run command prompt and internet ex. in back ground in multiple windows only you cant see them. Even after scanner removes it. Read up on it cause it is tough. Don't just update a program when it asks you to it could be loaded with a bug. After I loaded image I opened Firefox to go online and yep koverter popped up but this time I didn't hit update Firefox and scanner wiped it out. All better and everyone here made it through the worst storm in many years. Oh and Firefox started acting up didn't want to run Netflix, just be careful and keep those DAT files up to date. Also your system was working in the worst part of the storm on my APU with a kindle fire thanks
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

After you restored your image did you run all of your scans?  You might want to run the Safety Scanner again, as well.  It's entirely possible for someone to pick something like this up and have it sit on the system for a while, meaning that you could actually have gotten it months ago, but it didn't do it's thing until recently.  Subsequently, it could be on the system image you saved and restored with. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Alum

Hi catfish,

Those pesky ransomware viruses. Glad you were able to find and eliminate it. I would also run another scan as suggested. Better safe then sorry.

- Chris
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

In addition, your situation and fix is another great example of why creating system images is so important.  There are other methods of backup, but a system image is just about the only one that can get you out of the worst jams, including having your HDD or SSD go kaput.  Replacing a drive and restoring the image is so much easier than having to install everything all over again.  Personally, I keep three images for each computer, one for the current month and one each for the previous two months. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

Oh yea Gabe first thing I did was scan. I also know it was Fire Fox as I read in another forum lot of folks having problems with that browser sad to I like it. Yes I do think it got in on an update almost a month ago. I restored to a point a week before and yep there it was. Well right on to all.  

Highlighted
Advanced Tutor
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for the translation EDN. I looked this up as koverter and the norton data base knew nothing