Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is my bits ?

Highlighted
New Poster

Where is my bits ?

Problem:
1. Data is being used when nothing is connected
2. Devices that are off or have 0 power or have forget Network on them are some how connecting. On Huges nets end.

So sent in reports of lost data starting back March 23rd. Sent in data usage comparted to Huges Net useage 33% off.

Reset my router, node, and cleared caches not sure how many times.

Was on the phone with a tech and he saw my data leaving with 0 devices connected. Happened 3 times while we were on the phone. I kept asking nothing is connected right he said yes nothing. Then why did I lose data ? Over 2 gbs in a 20 min call. Crazy loss and didn't stop till we were off the phone. (Yes, I was useing only my phone's Internet.) And 100 mbs 5 mins after the call. Noticed it loses data only when the box has the wifi enabled. That's a leak and the tech saw that and kept saying it was a device, and I'd ask is there anything connected? No, how is it a device then ? Not sure what's going on said the Tech. It's a Data leak and a software issue on your end connecting devices and useing data that isn't really being used.
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Where is my bits ?

@Wjmarchant 

Though anything's possible, including a faulty modem, it's likely that something is actually connecting and using the data.  The reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST, so the earliest you'll get a reply from one in Monday.  

In the meantime, it would be best to not unplug the modem, as doing so wipes the logs that can help the reps determine what is going on.  If disabling the WiFi stops the usage, I would do so to ensure that you aren't burning through all of your data while waiting for a rep to reply.  

BTW, if you have a satellite TV receiver and it is connected to HughesNet, that may be the culprit, as they have been known to use huge amounts of data, even if nothing is ever watched On Demand, and even when they're turned "off".  DirecTV seems to be worse for this, but both DirecTV and Dish Network receivers have been known to use data. 

Regarding #2, if devices are still connecting under those instances, they are likely not off, but rather in standby, and still able to connect, and something is remembering the connection credentials.  Neither HughesNet, nor the HughesNet modem, has any control over how or when devices connect.  If a device is connecting when it's not supposed to, the problem is with the device.  

@Liz  @Damian 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Associate Professor

If you go to this page (while connected to modem) you should be able to see a full list of the MAC addresses of all the devices that the modem currently sees or recently disconnected from it (and when). Hopefully that can help you track down the culprit.

Depending upon how you track things, you may have to go through all your known devices for MAC addresses in order to figure out which is which. Might be helpful to keep a list.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted

Good morning Wjmarchant,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! I located what I think is your account. If your account number is indeed the one starting with SME, then what I can suggest for you is to try out the community's suggestions in your thread, and also this guide for further troubleshooting, which should help you track down your unidentified data usage. Actually, these steps are good for any type of customer with data concerns.

Please note this community is geared towards our residential customers; the moderators have limited capabilities with business accounts. If your account number starts with "SME", 800.347.3272 is your best route for support. We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.