cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did not lift data cap

Toripecor82
New Poster

Why did not lift data cap

Why is it that Hughesnet will not lift the data cap so that our kids can do there school work? I have NO choice but to use this company because of where I live. Now because people are out to make a quick buck. Our kids have to suffer. I think they are suffering enough right now!
2 REPLIES 2
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Why did not lift data cap

HughesNet can't lift the data cap, because unlike with cable companies, the total amount of data the satellites provide is limited, and must be shared among 1.4 million customers.  If they lifted data caps, no one, including you, would be able to use the internet at all. All of us, including you, would be dead in the water, and you would be much angrier and much more frustrated.  

They have done other things, such as prioritizing bandwidth for education: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/About-the-Community/COVID-19-and-Your-HughesNet-Service-Updated-3...

They have done the best they can for their customers within the limitations of the technology.  These are very trying times for everyone, what with so many people getting ill and so many dying. We all need to pull together to get past the crisis that is gripping our country and the world. Now is the time for all of us to do the best we can with what we have. 

Toripecor82 wrote:
Why is it that Hughesnet will not lift the data cap so that our kids can do there school work? I have NO choice but to use this company because of where I live. Now because people are out to make a quick buck. Our kids have to suffer. I think they are suffering enough right now!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Why did not lift data cap

@maratsade wrote:

If they lifted data caps, no one, including you, would be able to use the internet at all. All of us, including you, would be dead in the water, and you would be much angrier and much more frustrated.   

For the OP or anyone that reads this thread, the reason why this is the case is because no longer having to prioritize one's activities because of the lack of a data cap would result in a lot of people doing the number one thing people do when they have no cap... streaming.  The system would slow to a crawl because of it.  It's already slowing from an increase in streaming due to so many more people being home, but it would be MUCH worse.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro