cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is location detection always wrong?

Highlighted

Why is location detection always wrong?

Almost every time I access a website that senses my location, it's way off. Is this because of the way satellite internet service works? Can anything be done to make location sensing more accurate?

Sometimes this problem is a minor inconvenience, like when I am shopping the website of a bricks-and-mortar store like Home Depot or Target, etc. My browser invariably shows me stock for a store far away. It doesn't seem to matter that I set a home store.

Other times, the inconvenience is more substantial. Secure websites I use, for example for banking and credit accounts, very often trigger their fraud detection and require me to answer my security questions. I can do that, of course, but it's a hassle. I'm almost always logging in from home, from the same two devices, and there should be nothing suspicious or irregular about that!

Here's a bigger hassle. For the past two weeks, I have been trying to recover my Gmail account because the password I recorded is not working. I have followed all of Google's recovery guidance assiduously, and I know I am providing correct responses and promptly responding with recovery codes they send to my backup accounts and devices. Yet repeatedly the response comes back that they cannot confirm that I am the account owner. I wonder if the real problem is that their system detects that I am in a different place every time I attempt account recovery, and that's a flag for fraud?

Is there another explanation? Can anybody suggest something I can do to reduce this problem?

Many thanks!

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Why is location detection always wrong?

@RJB 

HughesNet uses dynamically changing, shared IP addresses for their residential customers.  It's the IP address that most websites ping off of to see your location, and it will show the registered address of that IP.  Unfortunately, there's no way to alter the address to your own.  

As for the Gmail problem, I'm not sure.  I've had a Gmail account for a number of years now, and a couple of years ago I had to use their system to recover my account due to losing the password.  I worked fine for me, but again, this was a couple of years ago, so I don't know if anything's changed.  i suspect that it doesn't have anything to do with the IP, but anything's possible, and there are likely people here who will be able to give a more precise answer regarding this issue.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Re: Why is location detection always wrong?

You may need to contact Google about that -- it may be that something you think is right in your answers is actually incorrect.

RJB wrote:

For the past two weeks, I have been trying to recover my Gmail account because the password I recorded is not working. I have followed all of Google's recovery guidance assiduously, and I know I am providing correct responses and promptly responding with recovery codes they send to my backup accounts and devices. Yet repeatedly the response comes back that they cannot confirm that I am the account owner. I wonder if the real problem is that their system detects that I am in a different place every time I attempt account recovery, and that's a flag for fraud?

Is there another explanation? Can anybody suggest something I can do to reduce this problem?

Many thanks!