cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my DNS Server Address Constantly Changing? For BirdDog, Gwalk or Corrosive...and others, too....

Amanda

Re: Why is my DNS Server Address Constantly Changing? For BirdDog, Gwalk or Corrosive...and others, too....

Hey Gabe

Glad to hear but I want you to try something for me? Smiley Happy

Do you know how to disable your IPv6 settings? If you can just a little experiment... clear out the DNS settings you made and try it with IPv6 disabled and see if you still get those alerts.. Thanks in advance if you do !

Amanda
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Why is my DNS Server Address Constantly Changing? For BirdDog, Gwalk or Corrosive...and others, too....

I'd be happy to.  It's basically just unchecking the IPv6 line in the adapter settings so that IPv6 isn't used, right? 

You want me to change my IPv4 back to automatic, right? 

I'll go ahead and do so, but I want to finish a system image backup first (not because of the changing settings, but because I had already planned on it).

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Amanda

Yep! Uncheck the IPv6 box and then put IPv4 back to the way you had it when this issue was occurring. I have an inkling that there is some program/app on your computer that REALLY wants IPv6 over everything and keeps causing this change. If its something you have only on this computer but not the others would explain why this is the only one seeing this in the logs.. We will see, I suppose? 

Amanda
'
GabeU

Okay.  The IPv6 is off and the IPv4 is set back to automatic.  I'll leave it this way for a day or two to see what happens. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU

Amanda,

Nothing as of yet.    

I can't find, nor think of anything that I have on this computer that I don't have on the others, save for a couple of things that don't run on their own.  But, so far, no DNS changes, so there may very well be something.  Tomorrow I will run the task manager on this and my laptop and compare them to see if anything different is running on this, or at least something that would matter, anyway.  

I'm out for now.  Have a fantastic weekend!   

GabeU

Amanda,

I think you might have been dead on.  I'm changed back to the Google DNS now, but not one time did I have a DNS change while I had the IPv6 turned off and the DNS set to automatic, and I should have had about five or six of them during that time.  On Saturday evening, I turned the IPv6 back on and went back to automatic DNS, and about an hour later, sure enough, a DNS change.  I turned it back off again and nothing after that.  A few minutes ago I changed it back to the Google DNS and turned IPv6 back on. 

Interestingly enough, I checked the task manager against my desktop and couldn't find any differences.  Perhaps it's just the adapter I have in this, or perhaps a file having to do with the adapter got a little screwy.  Or maybe it's something that doesn't show up in "Processes" in the task manager.  Either way, it shows that it definitely had something to do with the IPv6. 

That was a good catch.  Pretty slick.