cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my internet so SLOW?

Highlighted
Freshman

Why is my internet so SLOW?

My internet is honestly slower than dial-up, before my data runs out, standing right next to the router... 

I tried calling and requesting that a technician be sent out to fix the problem, however the rep just asked me a bunch of questions like was the Wifi light blinking and telling me it was odd that a Youtube video was taking so long to buffer, and then my call got dropped.

Has anyone here had a problem like this? Could it maybe be something with the satellite, as we've had some nasty storms the past few weeks?

Really wishing I read the fine print about the $400 cancellation fee before signing up...

Tags (1)
30 REPLIES 30
Professor

Re: Why is my internet so SLOW?

This has happened to other people; sometimes because they've run out of data, or because of other reasons.  To begin trying to solve this, you will have to run speed tests and provide some other information.  This will allow the people here to help you troubleshoot where the problem might lie.  Troubleshooting is a systematic process of elimination, so tests need to be conducted.

If you don't have an account with Testmy.net, you may want to create one, because that's where you will be running speed tests.

You will be asked other questions too regarding your system -- many of the answers will be at the SCC (System Control Center), which is located at http://192.168.0.1.

A lot of very experienced people post here, so hang tight, someone will soon post a reply with questions and instructions.

Professor

OK, so I was hoping @C0RR0SIVE or @GabeU might have dropped by since your post. Maybe someone will show up today (the mods, who are from Hughes HQ, will not be here until Monday). 

In the meantime, you may want to start running a few speed tests. Also, make sure you're not in FAP.  If you've exceeded your data limit, things will slow down, especially if you're using Gen 4. 

To run the tests, create an account at testmy.net

-You need to run a download test

-Choose Manual Test Size

-use the 12MB test file  (for Gen 5, use the 25MB test file)

-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with an ethernet cable.
-run a batch of 3 tests during the day/morning and another 3 at night
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here (on Testmy, click Results to go to your results page), it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Professor

"I tried calling and requesting that a technician be sent out to fix the problem, however the rep just asked me a bunch of questions like was the Wifi light blinking and telling me it was odd that a Youtube video was taking so long to buffer, and then my call got dropped."

The first tier reps have a protocol they have to follow - so they have to go through all of those questions, irritating as it is.   Have you tried using the chat?  I much prefer it to the phone, because I think it's easier for people to understand what's being conveyed, as there aren't any barriers that may be present in speech communication.  Can't guarantee the results will be better, though, but it may be worth a try to get on there and ask whether you can request a technician to visit your site.

I don't know  if there's a way to request a technician, like clicking something to order this type of service. If there isn't a way, there should be....as long as the customer is willing to pay for the service, why not?  Verizon used to have that -- you could initiate a repair order and they'd send a technician. It was much more streamlined than having to go through a telephone rep whose hands are tied by protocols.

Distinguished Professor III

@afl5013

In addition to the instructions @maratsade laid out for the speed tests, it would be a good idea for you to disable the WiFi while running the tests to make sure that nothing else is sapping the bandwidth at the same time.  

The PDF for the HT2000W is here... http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf

The instructions for disabling the WiFi are on the last page, under the heading "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem", line 5.c.  You have to click "Save Settings" after you disable each radio or the settings won't hold, so you have to save four times.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Distinguished Professor III

@maratsade wrote:

I don't know  if there's a way to request a technician, like clicking something to order this type of service. If there isn't a way, there should be....as long as the customer is willing to pay for the service, why not?   

I believe Hughesnet prefers to verify that it's a problem that a tech can actually fix before they'll schedule a visit, even if the customer is willing to pay for it.  Certain steps, like the speed tests and remote diagnotics that the reps can run, can help to verify if that's the case.     

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

"I believe Hughesnet prefers to verify that it's a problem that a tech can actually fix before they'll schedule a visit, even if the customer is willing to pay for it.  Certain steps, like the speed tests and remote diagnotics that the reps can run, can help to verify if that's the case."

Stop making sense, @GabeU!!  Smiley Happy

Seriously, that does make sense, of course, and it's nice that they do that before sending a tech out. 

New Poster

Mine is very slow too... actually, when I do speed **bleep** during the bonus hours many times it's faster than 25MB. but during the day it fluctuates sometimes as low as .24, or 1.5... etc....    I've been a customer since 9/4, the installer told me it might take a few days for the speed to get up, while software was being updated on modem.... then we had some sever weather, so I though that was the problem.... I've called 9/12, 9/13 and 9/14....  Although I have a expedite basic repair, (2 day), I was told that would not be ordered until they evelauate.... well here it is on 9/17, still slow, no call, no information.... on 9/14 I rote a letter to the CEO.   On 9/12 the over the phone tek person, wanted me to count the seconds it took for a screen web screen to paint....  My slow speed test infromation did not mean anthing to him... He aslo exclated to a hight level and told me someone would call... NO ONE HAD CALLED....   I'm paying 4 time the amount I paid for dsl, just as slow.... WHY?????

Professor

Nick, you may want to stick with this site -- and run a few structured tests following the instructions above. These tests will count for something here.  The Hughesnet people will be here tomorrow, and they require the tests. If you have already run some and you have an account with Testmy, please post your results link.  The Hughesnet engineers prefer that site to the native test utility, so if you don't have a free account with Testmy, please get one and run tests a few times a day, as per the instructions.

New Poster

Thank, but as a customer, (a new customer at that) I should get at least a respons, a call or support that I am paying for.  I don't want to make this my life's work... that is why I switched from DSL (1/4 the cost) back to Satelite.