cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the internet s'bad?

Why is the internet s'bad?

I've been a Hughes Net "customer" for about a year and a half. At this point, I'm just riding out my contract because cancelling early isn't allowed unless you're ballin'. Which, if you're using Hughes Net... probably not ballin'. Anyway, the ENTIRE time I've been connected to the Hughes Net it's been trouble. At first, we had a guy show up to install the internet and he was rude to my mom, who was only there to let him in. Then he didn't even hook the **bleep** up! We had to wait until they could send someone else out. We also had to keep an eye on our bill cause they would charge for services that we didn't ask for. These were never discussed or provided. Since then, we quickly realized that the internet is not fast enough to stream, do homework or google anything. I've been using the hot-spot off of my phone for our main source of internet while still paying the monthly bill. The internet speed is unusable, I'm getting charged for "optional services" which I don't want or need. I know this doesn't sound very tech related but if anyone out there can help with any of these problems, that'd be much appreciated. ONE GOOD THING, everyone that I spoke with over the phone has been very kind and easy to talk to. I see a lot of people **bleep**ing about them, but you can tell they're doing what they can to help. I'm sure none of them grew up dreaming to talk to pissed off people about there internet. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Why is the internet s'bad?

Was this installer recommended by Hughes?  I could tell you horror stories about the times I've used satellite company recommended installers  I've now found some local people who are so much better and are only about 20 miles away.  They got a laugh out of some of the boneheaded  things the original installers did.

You should have enough speed to stream.  Uses a lot of data though.

I would get another company to look over the installation. 

Professor

I'm tagging some reps to see if they can look into your account to see what's going on.

@Amanda

@Liz

@Jorge

Distinguished Professor IV

@Swisher

Express Repair seems to be something that the sales reps push a bit, and if I remember correctly the first month of it is free, but then you start getting charged for it.   With this said, even though Express Repair can definitely be beneficial it's not a requirement and you can cancel it at any time.  You don't have to keep it.  

With regard to the streaming, have you tried turning off (or pausing) the Video Data Saver?  It might help with the buffering, but keep in mind that streaming, especially in HD, can use a LOT of data.  

Are you sure that you have not run out of your high speed data allotment and been put in a throttled speed state (FAP)?  

What kinds of speeds are you getting?  If you have any speed test results from testmy.net it may help to post them so the reps can see them.  Still, they may ask you to run speed tests to determine what the problem could be.  

I'm sure the reps will help you.

On a side note:  Though I have no doubt whatsoever that you are very frustrated with having to deal with the issues you've been experiencing, please keep in mind that this is a public site that may have little eyes reading it.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi Swisher,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! I pulled up your account and the remote diagnostics I ran on your system look fine, the only thing is you're currently subject to the Fair Access Policy. You can use one of your tokens to restore speed now or wait until the monthly data reset.  

To use your data tokens: 

Access your Usage Meter (the application or online).

Click the Buy Tokens button. The next screen will show you the number of tokens available for use.

Click the Use link next to the number of tokens you have.

This will increase your TOKEN BYTES AVAILABLE amount, not your Anytime Bytes, and restore speeds.

We'd like to know what speeds you're normally getting when your speeds aren't reduced due to the Fair Access Policy. When you have data again, please create a testmy.net account and run 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Post your test results link here in your thread.

Most important points to remember during this test:

-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)

-use the 12MB size download test file

-space each test at least 5 minutes apart

-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->