cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Updates....Here We Go Again.

Distinguished Professor IV

Windows 10 Updates....Here We Go Again.

Over two and a half hours and this is where I still am on this desktop.  Ugh.  I still think it could be related to the latency.  Hughesnet speed is ample.  I'm sure the fact that everyone and their brother, and their long lost cousin Rufus, are downloading the same today doesn't help.  

Capture.JPG

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
21 REPLIES 21
Assistant Professor

Re: Windows 10 Updates....Here We Go Again.

Hey, leave cousin Rufus out of it, he has enough problems. Smiley Tongue

Six and a half hours in...

Capture.JPG

And, according to my Hughesnet meter, I've used about 250MB, but have a look at Glasswire...

Capture1.JPG

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Junior

One approach that I've found helpful in dealing with Windows updates (on Win10) is to NOT use Windows Update for the actual download.  It is more prone to hanging than using the following approach.  By the way the following approach is handy if you have multiple systems to update as well as you can download the updates and copy them to all the systems you need to update.  Here's the steps I've used:

Do NOT use Windows update, instead use Microsoft Update Catalog

0. Let Windows Update notify you of update packages that need to be installed. Note them.
1. Open Internet Explorer (Win-R > iexplorer.exe)
2. Navigate to: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/home.aspx
3. Select the update packages noted in (0) above.
4. View basket and download (during off-peak time or on a mobile device / laptop using an un-metered internet connection).

5. Install the updated packages on all the systems you have.

I've found that Microsoft Update Catalog is less prone to hanging (though not entirely immune), but if I recall correctly I believe you can restart a download if it fails, while Windows Update tends to restart from the beginning.  One other short-coming of Microsoft Update Catalog is that it may take a day or two for new updates to be available via Catalog.  

I plan to get the latest updates tonight during off-peak hours.  Fingers crossed. 

Tags (1)
Associate Professor

I second EVERYTHING that motobojo said...  If you don't have a way to use WSUS, then I strongly urge you to use the catalog for any updates that may seem to be taking too long or are hanging.  Just be aware, downloading a culmulative update on the catalog can eat a good bit more data than letting a machine try to do the update it self.  A culmulative update may be ~1GB in size, but your computer may only need to download a tenth of that to be able to update to that revision.  So I would use the catalog only if the update keeps hanging up.

Thanks,
C0RR0SIVE

Honorary Alumnus

Rufus runs Linux Mint.

Professor

@Gwalk900 wrote:

Rufus runs Linux Mint.

That's because Rufus is, like, totally cool.

Junior

Good point, C0RR0SIVE.  I was able to use the method I described the other night.  The download for the three packages:

• Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1607 (for x64-based Systems) (KB4014329)
  • Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013429
  • Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013418)

amounted to ~1.1Gb.  I was able to copy it over to my Win10 tablet and reuse it.  How much bandwidth would I have used through Windows Update?  Dunno.  It all depends how many failed attempts I would have had to try, and how much would have been chewed up in each attempt.  An unfortunate crapshoot.

Some added notes on the method I described above:

• Sometimes the Download Dialogue page opens but doesn't populate. In those cases I just kill the pop-up, go back to the Cart page and restart the download.  Repeat as necessary.
  • I've found that it is best to use Windows Update for Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool updates. While you can find the update package in Catalog, I've found the install of the package doesn't work.
  • It can take Windows Update a little while to FULLY realize you have applied the updates.  While the status of the updates will show up in your update history right away, Windows may still encourage you to download and install the updates you've already installed.  Assuming, you've set your system to NOT automatically download and install the updates you can just ignore these requests and Windows will eventually figure out you've successfully installed the updates.  If you are impatient with that you can explore options to perform a Windows Update reset. I recommend patience though as the reset removes your update history.

I wish it weren't such a pain. Maybe Microsoft will improve things someday.  One can hope.

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

I second EVERYTHING that motobojo said...  If you don't have a way to use WSUS, then I strongly urge you to use the catalog for any updates that may seem to be taking too long or are hanging.  Just be aware, downloading a culmulative update on the catalog can eat a good bit more data than letting a machine try to do the update it self.  A culmulative update may be ~1GB in size, but your computer may only need to download a tenth of that to be able to update to that revision.  So I would use the catalog only if the update keeps hanging up.

Thanks,
C0RR0SIVE

For me, it's not that the update is hanging when installing, but downloading, and I when I have had this problem in the past, it doesn't matter if it's downloading the updates through Windows Update, or through the Update Catalog, as either one is painfully slow.  It's the servers.  And, of course, when having this problem, if I downloaded the update through the catalog update, it would take painfully longer than it already does due to what you mention in your last two sentences.  At the speed I was downloading it, it could have very well taken a day, or even two, to download the files through the Update Catalog rather than the seven hours it did take.  

With that said, I think it was most likely because of the numerous people doing the same at the same time.  I'll wait for a few days to update my Windows 10 laptop to see how long it takes, but it would not at all suprise me if that downloads the updates at a MUCH quicker pace.

I don't know if it's my beam or my gateway that makes the Microsoft servers so sensitive when they are busy, but whatever it is, it's annoying.  My stepfather, on the same beam and gateway, deals with the same problem.  

Assistant Professor

Same thing here on 8.1. Been stuck at 38% for latest updates trying numerous times since Tuesday.

EDIT: Oh boy, just jumped to 39% after about 15 minutes.