Wish the Poor Beam issues in California would get fixed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

Wish the Poor Beam issues in California would get fixed

Long time user here.  Pre Gen 4.  Gen 4.  Gen 5.  Been through all the tech supports.. escalated to engineering and all that, and even after 2+ years on Gen 5 still being told a beam issue is why my service is so sporatic. 

What makes it worse is even in non FAP states it barely works.  Imagine once in FAP it becomes really bad.

Just click send on an email and it literally took 3 minutes to send.

If the service worked properly I would be a happy camper but being told after 2 years still a beam issue per engineering is getting old.

I can only guess this issue will never be resolved.

Bummed!

TJ

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Have they told you what the beam issue is, specifically?

They did not elaborate.  I worked from this community and the Hughes employees via messaging here and then worked with calling them, escalated to higher up and was told beam issue and reduced price for a while longer.  Unfortunately still spending a lot of $ for poor service even after the discount and then have to call again in XX months to do this all over again.

Seems an endless cycle of probably never going to see something different for as long as I am on Gen 5.

TJ

GabeU

@macsociety 

I was just curious.  I know that back in late 2017 beam 55 was having a lot of speed related issues.  

Whatever the cause, I hope it gets remedied soon.

Edit:  Ah, Beam 19 on the ES17.  Haven't heard anything about that one.

Wish the tech would have switched me back to ES19.  He basically said it would not make a difference and seemed like he wanted to move on so that was that.  Then was passed onto the higher up and told beam issue so that is where it was left in September.

Not sure what to make of it but what can I do.  I have no other decent options as cell does not serve me well here so I live with this but stinks.

TJ

@Damian .. you had assisted me last.

Can you tell me any reason why switching me back to the ES19 like I had been would not be worth a try?

Was on ES19 2 years ago... had issues, Hughes switched me back to ES17, same... 

Is it possible ES19 may be better option for me now 2 years later?

TJ

@macsociety,

Thank you for contacting us again. I am sorry to hear you are still experiencing this issue. When running diagnostics on the equipment, it appears the beam you are on is no longer experiencing an issue. The technician was correct in the fact that switching would most likely not make a difference, as there are no reported issues on your beam currently, and your signal quality is above average. All I can see right now is that you have exceeded the monthly data allotment and there are a large number of devices connected to the network at once. While our modem can usually support many devices split between the networks, bandwidth allocation can cause certain devices to take priority depending on their actions. I also see what I believe is Gigabyte Switch connected to the LAN. Due to the nature of these devices, I can not see or confirm the number of devices connected to the switch. If there are additional devices connected to the switch, this could further cause the issue I believe you may actually suffering from. I highly recommend removing as many devices from your network as you can, especially in your current throttled state. Please let me know if your speeds improve after doing this. 

I understand you believe the service is still slow even when your speeds are not being throttled, but there is no evidence on our side of there being an issue with the equipment or beam currently. While I do not doubt your experience, our only other option at this point would be to escalate another case, now that you are no longer on an affected beam. Once your data refreshes and your speeds are no longer being reduced, we will need testmy.net speed test results which you may have already done in the past. I would run them for you but your speed test results, while the service is being throttled, are not valid for escalation. Doing this will also allow the correct method to be performed for your service, which may include switching you back to E17, but it is not likely. 

-Damian 

Thanks for posting Damian.

Next time I am out of FAP will do it again.

Just as a note, I did do it again before posting here and when not in FAP and had same issues as earlier this year.  Turned off wifi, only had one computer direct connected, and poor performance sub what it should be.

Anyway, I will do it again when I am out of FAP and see what is said.

My biggest gripe is the REALLY bad performance during FAP.  1Mbps would be fine.  Heck 600 to 700K would be fine.  But as the day goes on that roughly 1Mbps during FAP becomes 100 to 200K later afternoon.  That is the killer.

It is my feeling during FAP there should be some minimum speed hard set from Hughes so no one has 100K to 200K speeds.  

So the slow speeds that affect some during peak time and not on FAP, but is still way under the 25Mbps, and not even the 15Mbps Hughes like to see as a minimum, if you are in FAP, it is like pulling teeth.  

Should really be some minimum set so during FAP it is not so bad.

Just my opinion.

I will report back when I am ready, after the holidays, to unplug everything, turn off wifi, and test again while not in FAP.

TJ

@Damian wrote:

@macsociety,

Thank you for contacting us again. I am sorry to hear you are still experiencing this issue. When running diagnostics on the equipment, it appears the beam you are on is no longer experiencing an issue. The technician was correct in the fact that switching would most likely not make a difference, as there are no reported issues on your beam currently, and your signal quality is above average. All I can see right now is that you have exceeded the monthly data allotment and there are a large number of devices connected to the network at once. While our modem can usually support many devices split between the networks, bandwidth allocation can cause certain devices to take priority depending on their actions. I also see what I believe is Gigabyte Switch connected to the LAN. Due to the nature of these devices, I can not see or confirm the number of devices connected to the switch. If there are additional devices connected to the switch, this could further cause the issue I believe you may actually suffering from. I highly recommend removing as many devices from your network as you can, especially in your current throttled state. Please let me know if your speeds improve after doing this. 

I understand you believe the service is still slow even when your speeds are not being throttled, but there is no evidence on our side of there being an issue with the equipment or beam currently. While I do not doubt your experience, our only other option at this point would be to escalate another case, now that you are no longer on an affected beam. Once your data refreshes and your speeds are no longer being reduced, we will need testmy.net speed test results which you may have already done in the past. I would run them for you but your speed test results, while the service is being throttled, are not valid for escalation. Doing this will also allow the correct method to be performed for your service, which may include switching you back to E17, but it is not likely. 

-Damian 

GabeU

@macsociety 

Are you on the beam that was having problems way back when?  I think maybe 55 on the ES19?

Yeh, was on Sat 17, moved to 19, then back.

Neither ever gave me good service unfortunately.

Even when the tech was here after a Sat adjustment that was not needed.  Tech informed me it was perfect.  

I am on this now.

TJ

Satellite NameEchoStar-17-NAD
Gateway ID3
Beam ID19
Outroute ID40