cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worked great for first 30 days.

don9
New Poster

Re: Worked great for first 30 days.

Was told by your sales we had to buy our own router which we did and the installer charged us to set it up.
Chris11
Alum

Hi don,

Thanks for clearing this up. Anything outside of a standard installation carries a possible extra fee. The scope of the install is to successfully provide service up to the HughesNet Modem. Anything past that is the responsibility of the customer. Local dealers are not specifically HughesNet technicians. We partner up with them just like many other satellite providers. I'm sorry if this was an inconvenience, however that is controlled by them. I hope that clears it up.

- Chris
kleitzsch

GabeU - 'Streaming in HD can use 3GB per Hour' .... Do you fricking realize what that means??? that means you use up an entire months data in 3 and 1/3 hours!!!!!!  What kind of plan is that???  It's fricking useless!!!!  Even a little bit of browsing and Facebook videos uses that up in a few days!    This 10 GB data plan is absurd.  How the hell can any of you people defend this with a straight face.  And guess what???  DirectTV now has a great feature - you can go back 3 days and watch what you missed!!!  Except for ONE THING - IT GOES OVER THE INTERNET AS STREAMING VIDEO!!!!    I called Hughes.net to upgrade to a 50 gig primetime plan, and they wouldn't give me the advertised rate of 79.99 because I wasn't a new customer - I've been with them 1 month and 15 days.     This company is a complete joke, but it's the only option if there is no cable available.    
ckendall9

Thank you Bird Dog !!!
I was wondering why my data allowance seemed to be not working.  No one told me it would reset for the first bit!!!  Now I can update!!  THANKS!!!
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

kleitzsch,

No, it's not useless.  It means satellite internet is not amenable to constant streaming.  SD or LD streaming can be done, within reason. 

Connecting your DirecTV receiver to Hughesnet is a terrible idea.  Even when not streaming a thing it will chew through your data by updating the guide, title descriptions, and even downloading movies into a queue you never asked it to download movies to. 

I have three Windows 10 computers, which I use for different things, all kept up to date.  Facebook, browsing, occasional YouTube videos, shopping, paying bills, etc.  Oh, and I keep my folks' Windows 8.1 laptop up to date, too, as they have dialup. 

Here's my status meter...

I've never reached 5GB of Anytime Data in any given month.  I think one month I used a little over 7GB, combined.  I guess Hughesnet isn't "fri***** useless."  Then again, I don't rely on streaming as my main form of entertainment. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

ckendall9,

After upgrading to Gen4 I noticed the reset on the second (or third) day and came on here to ask about it.  When I was told about the resets I took crazy advantage of it.  I was downloading all sorts of things.  Not only real, needed updates, but things I would never, ever really need or use, too.  I was downloading BIG files just to see how long they would take.  LOL.   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro