cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst Internet option of all time: Part II

Senior

Worst Internet option of all time: Part II

It's been 8 months since my install and over 3 months since I decided to complain about my snail-pace speeds. HughesNet has said that there's nothing wrong with my connection which is the same as saying, "it's the best you're going to get." My speeds are around 2Mbps download and my plan says I could "get up to 6Mbps," but make no guarantee.

My original thread was hijacked with a lot of useless information. Some said all I had to do was be nice and patient and the problem would be solved. That turned out to be total BS. Nothing has changed.

Then Hughes decided to send out a tech to check my install. But neither the company that sent the tech nor the tech himself could not follow simple instructions and so the tech never got to my house. Now with snow on the ground and the road into my place getting worse with each new snow fall, no tech will be able to get into my place until spring.

Due to intolerably slow speeds and my constant complaints on the original thread, I was given a reduced monthly fee. Unless that is extended until sometime in the spring, then I'll be back to paying full price for 1/2 the service.

I have no other option for internet so I guess I'll just have to learn to live with sub-par speeds.

Best, Curtis
  • HughesNet System Performance
26 REPLIES
Alum

Re: Worst Internet option of all time: Part II

Hi Curtis,

It's unfortunate that the snow has accumulated to the point you think it will be difficult for a tech to reach you. Do you really feel it would be too hard for a tech to reach your home?

- Chris
Senior

Chris,

My road is a mile long and most of it is packed snow right now. Anyone not familiar with the road would have to have a high clearance 4wd. My gut tells me that if Thompson Satellite sends a tech, they will blow it and send someone in a van of some type and they won't be able to get in on the road much less to my house. And if they do send a 4wd, then there's the fact that they will have to drive across my field to get to the install but my field is covered with about 6" of snow and my guess is they'd get stuck in the field and have to call a tow truck to get out.

To add to the above, we are now under a storm warning with as much as a foot of snow falling between Thursday evening and into late Friday. 4-5" of snow, on top of what we already have, will effectively close the last 1/4 mile of road and I will be walking in until late Feb or early March.

It's the wrong time of year for a service call at my location.

Best, Curtis
Alum

Hi Curtis,

Wish we could have gotten this taken care of sooner. I will however be extending the discount that I offered to you before.

- Chris
Senior

After recent snows, the weather warmed up and road is now a sheet of ice. More snow expected this weekend and no idea what that's going to do to the road. Then there's mud season.
Senior

Downloaded a large file this morning, a youtube video, and finished well before 8:00AM.

The download came out of my "Anytime Data" instead of my "Bonus Bytes.

Has something changed?
Tutor

Nothing has changed, do you have any screenshots of it?  Would be odd for the system to count data at the wrong time, that's for certain.
Personal Machine: ECS B85H3-M | Intel i5 4460 | 16GB DDR3-1333 | eVGA 750Ti | Samsung 830 120GB
Server: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 | AMD FX8350 | 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC | Intel Quad Gigabit NIC | 3Ware 9650SE-12ML + BBU | 650w OCZ ZS PSU | eVGA LP 710 | 10x WD RE 4TB disks in Raid10
Senior

I do have a screen shot. On the first you will notice that it shows 18 days left in my cycle. The Second shows 14 days left in cycle. I was gone for 3 of those 4 missing days.

This was a 1.1gb file which I knew ahead of time so planned the download accordingly.
Alum

Hi curtis,

Do you happen to have a screenshot of the actual usage history from your status meter?

- Chris
Senior

This is the original screen capture showing 18 days left in my cycle before I did the download. I did use the internet Sunday night so there should be some usage on the Anytime side but the Bonus Byte side only shows about 100MB of use when it should show an increase of 1.1gb, approximately