cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube "Throttling" (Felicia in tech support)

Freshman

YouTube "Throttling" (Felicia in tech support)

In response to  Beathoven's  post ,  I  have  ( been  having  for  4  and  a  half  years ) ,  the  same  issue with  Youtube...   I'm  using  a  Dell  Vostro  420  tower  with  Windows  7,  incessant  buffering  on  Youtube  at  144   on  up.   I  can  go  to  MLB.com  and  watch  Baseball  highlights  at  a  higher  (much  higher)  resolution  with  NO  buffering.   This  problem  ONLY  occurs  on  Youtube.    What  am  I  to  conclude  from  this?    is   that   yes,  Youtube  is  "throttling"... Went  over  to  a  friends  house  the  other  day and  watched  several  Youtube  vids  play  at  240  with  no  issues,  they  are  using  an  older  desktop  like  mine,  along  with  Wild Blue  at  15mps...I  will  take  my  Desktop  over  there  and  see  what  happens...This  will  happen (buffering)  at  any  time  of  the  day  or  night,  I  have  plenty  of  data  allowance  left,  using  Google Chrome   with  Gen 5 ...

5 REPLIES 5
Professor

Re: YouTube "Throttling" (Felicia in tech support)

YouTube is not throttling. Saying it many times won't make it so. 

Distinguished Professor IV

@markpierce

What kind of speeds are you getting with HughesNet?  A few download tests using the following protocol would help to establish where the problem may lie, as well as rule out the speed if it's adequate.  

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

In response to  "GabeU" , Speed Test,  Iowa  server  22.04  --  Dallas  27.70 ... Looks  more  and  more  like  I  said,  a  throttling  issue...

Professor

Saying it won't make it so. 

Distinguished Professor IV

@markpierce wrote:

In response to  "GabeU" , Speed Test,  Iowa  server  22.04  --  Dallas  27.70 ... Looks  more  and  more  like  I  said,  a  throttling  issue...

Can you please post either the URL to your testmy.net results page or the URLs to the two tests so that they can be viewed?  Thank you.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit