cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube Does Not Play Videos On Computers Or Phone

ecoalex2
Senior

Youtube Does Not Play Videos On Computers Or Phone

*** I tried to post in the General Discussion Forum, but the Label **bleep** would not accept anything I came up with, so I had to post here my bad ?****

Yesterday Youtube stopped playing videos. All other streaming videos from other servers play. This is on 2 computers with different versions of Linux Mint, and an android phone. It's as if Google has blocked me, or I was hacked. I tried using another google account, didn't help. I did get messages to try pay service, I ignored them. I thought Youtube was free, is it all paywalled now not just the premium channels? I looked at the help suggestions they all didn't apply, as I was current with flash video updates, or any other suggestions. The screen just shows the buffering swirl, I can see the video stills using the slider, yet the videos don't play. Any suggestions appreciated .Maybe Covid-19? ;(

Tags (1)
21 REPLIES 21
MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Re: Youtube Does Not Play Videos On Computers Or Phone

Didn't belong in General anyway

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
nmezza73

The same thing happened to me! Youtube won't play on my pc, ipad or iphone and Netflix's website won't load either. I turned off wifi on my iphone and used my at&t data and it worked so this is definitely an issue with Hughes Net and not my computer. I called tech support last night and they gave me more high speed data because I was out and it didn't fix anything. Tried calling again today and they're currently too busy to take calls and won't even let me wait on hold. Please respond back if you figure out how to fix it! 

ecoalex2
Senior

Thanks for the info.I don't have decent phone coverage from AT&T here, but if you did have a connection from another isp, that may show it is a hughes problem with just Youtube/Google. All other streaming does work, so it is just a Google/Youtube problem. Gmail does work, so not a total Google problem.

Sounds like one for the Hughes techs.. PFFFFFFFcat.png

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"that may show it is a hughes problem with just Youtube/Google."

Or more likely a problem with CenturyLink, a provider of internet backbone. 

ecoalex2
Senior

Thanks for the input and information.Lab Cat.png. Hopefully Hughes can test and see where the problem is..

Esullivan61
New Poster

We're having the same problem: can't play Youtube videos since Friday, April 3rd. And we periodically can't even connect to the site at all (the connection attempt times out after ~30 seconds). This problem is happening on all three of our computers, so it's not a hardware or malware issue, and I've also eliminated my router as the culprit. My guess is that Hughesnets recent "prioritization" of bandwidth is at the root of the matter, but I really can't say for sure. Bittorrent traffic is also affected: cannot connect to trackers. Anyhow, the problem is not on your end, and I expect it will mysteriously clear up as soon as the COVID-19 situation improves.
jjrshewmake
Freshman

This is exactly what is happening with me. Youtube videos will not play/download on any devices using my Hughesnet modem/router.

AT&T connection will play Youtube videos fine.

Video on other websites play/download fine through Hughesnet.

I hope that someone responsible at hughesnet reads this thread - and fixes the problem!

art
New Poster

Same thing here. Can't upload or download. I tested my speed and it's incredibly slow, 2.12 download. I can see Face Book and Youtube, pics but just see to black screen and the spinning wheel. I can see videos on my phone with ATT so it seems to be a Hughesnet issue. Bummer since I pay for AmazonVideo and can't watch anything.
East324
Spectator

Finally. I found others with my same problem. I cant watch videos on any application. No download speeds. I cant even open google docs, which I haven't seen anyone else say yet. However, I'm feeling as though I should call Hughesnet because they must have an explanation for this. Possibly the Rona? I have never had this much trouble with internet in my life.