Zoom and Fubotv rank my network unstable

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uponthehillwv
Freshman

Zoom and Fubotv rank my network unstable

I am new to Hughesnet this weekend and unhappy to be getting messages on my Zoom and Fubotv apps the say "Network or internet unstable".  I was told by fellow Zoomers that my feed was distorted and very choppy.  The Fubotv app loaded extremely slowly and stuff I watched buffered every 15 seconds or so.  The Tech I talked to said that my speeds of 41 meg download and 1.9 meg upload should have not resulted in slow or unstable performance on Zoom or stream tv, but he had no explanations.  Anyone else seeing this?  Tech is sending someone out to check things as soon as can be arranged.

11 REPLIES 11
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

This is probably due to the latency that's inherent to satellite internet. Since the signal travels such a long distance, you get a base latency in the mid 500 ms (milliseconds).  Add to that internet latency (which is how long it takes for things on the internet to load), and Zoom will think your internet is unstable.   This will be worse if you're using the video features in Zoom. If you phone in, it works just fine most of the time.  

It's unlikely a tech will be able to make a significant difference for you. 

Thank you for the reply.  The answer is very disturbing as I installed Hughesnet in our vacation rental to accommodate a growing number of guests that wish to work from home.  Based on this answer and many of the inputs I have read on this community, I will keep my DSL line and direct guests there, even though it is 760/128 Kbs.  At least Zoom works better on that system.  One more question?  How effective with this satellite approach be for managing surveillance cameras?  I have 8 of them attached to a DVR at this location.  Will I experience the same performance issues?

maratsade

EDIT: There's some info about security cameras here:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Third-Party-Products/Security-Cameras/m-p/109021

Looks like cloud based works well, but may eat a lot of data. 

Liz

Hi uponthehillwv,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! To add onto what maratsade said, here are some tips on working from home: https://www.hninfo.us/worktips

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz.  If I have a question about how Hughesnet will work with my surveillance cameras, should I send that to a different community forum or start a new thread here?

maratsade

You can put your question under Third Party Products.

Keep in mind this is a community of subscribers, so most of the time you will get answers by fellow subscribers. 

What maratsade said. Our customers who've actually used security cameras with their HughesNet systems would have much more insight to share than I could. I just know that as long as the system support dynamic IPs you're good to go.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thank you for the reply.  Since the main reason I tried to upgrade to the Hughesnet system was for Zoom and streaming for my clients, I decided to cancel the system.  The customer service department waived the early termination fees, given my situation.  

Thank you for the reply.  Since the main reason I tried to upgrade to the Hughesnet system was for Zoom and streaming for my clients, I decided to cancel the system effective 9/30/2020.  The customer service department waived the early termination fees, given my situation.  

maratsade

Such good news you posted them twice. 😜 

Goodbye and good luck with your next ISP.

Good morning uponthehillwv, 

You're welcome, and thank you for keeping us updated as well. Glad our customer service reps took care of you. Much luck with your next provider!

Thanks,

Liz