cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connection issues, especially secure sites

Lynn4
New Poster

connection issues, especially secure sites

For the past month, I have been having problems with email not conecting, dropbox not being able to sync, unable to connect to the app store, and sporadic loss of connectivity.  At first, I thought it was my router.  I disconneted the router and went direct from the desktop to the Hughes modem, and still had the same issues.  I also have the same issues on 2 different laptops, and other devices such as ipads, and phones when in the house using the network. In my mind, that rules out an issue with a specific computer or settings.  I have called tech support numerous times, and they even sent a tech to the house.  He put in new cable from the dish to the house.  He said everything tested fine, but it is still not working properly.  The reason I believe it has to do with the Hughes system is that I can disconnect from Hughes, set up a hot spot on my phone, and everything works fine.  I can take the laptops out to a different internet connection, and again, everything works well.  Sometimes I will catch the system status showing a problem, but most of the time it says everything is fully operational, even though I can not connect to these secure sites.

Hughes Tech support has supposedly elevated me to another level, that was supposed to call me back within 3 days.  It has now been 13 days with no call back.  I called again, and they said 10 days.  

Does anyone have any suggestions?

1 REPLY 1
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: connection issues, especially secure sites

@Lynn4

A couple of things to try...

If you have the modem connected to a power strip or surge protector, try plugging it directly into a wall outlet.  Those two pieces of equipment can sometimes play a little havoc on the power throughput.  Also, make sure that the power plug going into the back of the modem is not loose.  Be careful with this plug, as it's delicate, but must make sure that it's not loose and it's all the way in.   In addition, please make sure that the coax cable connector at the back of the modem is finger tight.  It doesn't need to be any tighter than this, but it shouldn't be loose.  

Please reply as to whether any of this makes any difference.  If not, we will get the reps involved to figure out what's going on.  

And yes, this is the same Gabe on DSL Reports that suggested you come here to get help.  Smiley Happy    

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro