cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data loss overnight - very frustrated customer

crs
New Poster

Re: data loss overnight - very frustrated customer

My iPad and two iPhones are listed by name and the web addresses are not the ones that are listed. How do I check to see if the are windows web numbers

Assistant Professor

I have a MacBook Pro, but you would most likely be able to find your computer's MAC address in Windows by looking (but being very careful not to change) the hardware settings for your wifi or networking card. Usually it comes up with a small window where there's a tab with that kind of information on it.

It would be helpful to go through all the devices you think are using the wifi, gather their IP (if you assign them yourself) and MAC addresses, and list them in a notepad file for your own future reference. I've got a list of about 16 staticly addressed devices, and 8 dynamically addressed devices that I keep MAC addresses.

Not only can I use the list to tell which devices are on, but I also have the router set to deny access to any MAC address that's not listed. That way you can ensure some UPS guy (or whoever) isn't sitting in your driveway, using your wifi.

If you do any MAC filtering, just remember that installers/techs use their phones to connect to it for any adjustments, so you might have to add theirs for service later. This actually happened once. He was going nuts thinking his phone was broken... lol.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
crs
New Poster

I have identified all but three addresses.  How can I be sure that it’s a device in my home and not someone on the outside?

I have checked all phones and computers even my dish network equipment

is there a way to delete them?

and the page that has the connected and unconnected devices doesn’t update very well

Assistant Professor

I have no idea how you can be sure because I have no idea who you've allowed to use your wifi and I have no idea what smart devices that are in your home that might use the wifi:

Do you have any exercise equipment, like a NordicTrack (with iFit) that might use it?

Are your appliances, scales, etc. wifi-capable?

Do you have any TVs, cable/satellite TV boxes, or game platforms that might be hooked up?

What about a secondary external router?

What about a printer?

Any security cameras?

...I can only make suggestions. I don't know what you have.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
crs
New Poster

What does it mean when a pc’s device health rated bad

Assistant Professor

Means the wifi connection has most likely not been very reliable with errors, forcing resends, which increases data usage.

New Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, we don’t have newer model iPhones and I guess this is another reason to not upgrade. We will keep an eye on our usage and try to identify the problem. Just seems odd that this has just started since we upgraded to Gen5. I thought maybe the new modem used the data getting updates, however HughesNet tells me the updates don’t count against my available data.  Right now, I have a hard time believing that since both instances of large data loss was after installing a new modem. 

Distinguished Professor III

@KRene

Do you have a satellite TV receiver connected to HughesNet for watching On Demand and such?  

Do you have a gaming console that is connected to HughesNet?  

The software updates for the modem itself are not counted, and they also don't happen very often.  Maybe a couple times a year.  

Also, regarding the Anytime/Bonus data discrepency, were you using the service at some time during the Bonus Zone period and you saw the data being drawn from the Service Plan Data allotment?  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit