cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iTunes updates/downloads are ridiculously slow - Everything else seems OK - No FAP

Highlighted

iTunes updates/downloads are ridiculously slow - Everything else seems OK - No FAP

For the past couple of weeks, I have been virtually unable to update and/or download things from iTunes. I say virtually, because it IS possible, but the data comes in  kBs instead of MBs--excruciatingly slow. Only on iTunes and Apple updates-- nothing else.

Everything else appears to be running just fine speedwise, except there's a single Windows Defender update is experiencing the same thing (and I seriously doubt that's on the same server ring as iTunes!)

I am not FAP'd.  Double green status. Any suggestions?
26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted

Re: iTunes updates/downloads are ridiculously slow - Everything else seems OK - No FAP

You can only DL as fast as the server you are DLing from. If you are getting fast DL's from every other site there is a good possibility that the problem is with Apple and iTunes. Don't use Windows Defender currently but as I remember from many moons ago it was always slow.

Highly unlikely there is any fault with Hughesnet if these are the only problems. If it was with HN you would experience the slow down everywhere.

What does testmy.net tell you?
Highlighted

Re: iTunes updates/downloads are ridiculously slow - Everything else seems OK - No FAP

This has been consistent for about 2-3 weeks, but only when I'm connected through hughesnet. When I access iTunes through another service, the speeds are fine. So I'm pretty sure it's not the Apple servers (although it could be the way that information is getting from them to hughesnet, but that's probably not Apple's problem, right?)

My Windows Defender updates typically download at regular speed, not kBs per second as it is currently.

TestMy:

Any other ideas? I hope it's not something stupid I'm missing.

My traceroute consistently has a hop that times out. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though--that server might not be sending responses. OR that server could be adding some crazy latency:

tracert itunes.apple.com
Tracing route to e673.e9.akamaiedge.net [23.12.242.217]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     2 ms     1 ms     2 ms  x.x.x.x
  3   598 ms   555 ms   571 ms  69.35.169.242
  4   604 ms   548 ms   578 ms  69.35.172.58
  5   571 ms   579 ms   591 ms  69.35.172.14
  6   564 ms   570 ms   594 ms  66.196.48.241
  7   610 ms   582 ms   544 ms  12.250.166.29
  8   580 ms   584 ms   589 ms  12.122.150.74
  9   554 ms   595 ms   575 ms  12.122.150.6
 10   600 ms   591 ms   569 ms  12.122.150.65
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12   588 ms   578 ms   580 ms  12.120.117.64
 13   581 ms  1079 ms   698 ms  23.12.242.217
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

I use Windows Defender on my notebook computer, and it often updates very slowly.  I think it's just Windows servers.  Sometimes Windows updates themselves seem to take forever, even though they should be going a lot faster.  It took over an hour for the Windows updates to download for me tonight, and they were less than 400MB, yet my actual Hughesnet speed is very good and the updates should have been over in less than five minutes.    

As for ITunes, it seems to be a problem for a few people. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

This is typical of Hughesnet. It is the worst in speed to do anything!!! Their ads are misleading and very unreal in their presentation. Unfortunately of you can't get regular cable service this is the only option. We are moving and getting regular cable service. Can't wait.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Same problem as dayvv, and for about the same length of time.  It happens mostly with iphone apps. I can still stream just fine. An app update of 76.4 MB took over 20 minutes to DL.
Highlighted

Same here.  On 3 SEP 2016 I tried updates from Microsoft, Apple, and Intel.  The updates were slow.  Everything else: fine.  So yeah, HN is throttling the servers that serve patches and updates.  It's the old trick of letting the peasants have their circuses.
Highlighted

Highlighted

I just downloaded a song from iTunes -- I don't know how big these files are, but it didn't take an inordinate amount of time to download. It seemed normal. Still downloading a 75 MB app on the iPhone. It's been over 25 minutes now. Get with it, Apple.
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Robert,
The only throttling that place is if you deplete your allowance .
Server response is a function of those servers.